COLLEGE PARK, MD - Olga Bredikhina came from a set down to defeat Maria Avgerinos and secure a 4-3 victory for the Maryland women’s tennis team over No. 61 Syracuse at the Tennis Center at College Park Sunday afternoon.
Bredikhina’s victory capped a back and forth affair that saw both teams hold leads for part of the match. The victory is the Terps’ first against a ranked opponent since last season against Duke.
The Terps started off the match strong in doubles. Alexandra Stanova and Olivia Gaudreault ran past Rhiann Newborn and Maria Avgerinos, 8-3. Welma Luus and Nataliya Bredikhina secured the point, defeating Maddie Kobelt and Valeria Salazar.
Stanova continued her high level of play in singles with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Kobelt to put the Terps up 2-0.
The Orange responded with a three-match run. Newborn started it out, upending Kristina Hovsepyan, 6-3, 6-3. Salazar knotted the match with a 7-5, 7-5 victory over Luus.
Komal Safdar put the Terps behind for the first time, coming back from a set deficit to take out Olga Gaistruk 4-6, 6-2, 6-2. Nataliya Bredikhina rebounded from a tough second set loss and ran away with her three setter against Amanda Rodgers, 6-4, 6-7 (7-9), 6-1.
That put the match in the hands of Avgerinos and Bredikhina. After Avgerinos won a close first set, Bredikhina, down 3-2 in the second set, ripped off the next four games to take the frame, 6-3.
The Terrapin sophomore struck first in the third and final set, breaking Averginos to 3-1. After a Bredikhina hold, Averginos won the next two games to make the score 4-3, but the Moscow native responded with two strong games to win the match, 6-7 (8-10), 6-3, 6-3.
The Terps return to action on the road against Wake Forest. Action is scheduled to begin at noon on Saturday Apr. 12.
Maryland 4, No. 61 Syracuse 3Doubles Results:
1. Luus/N. Bredikhina (MD) def Kobelt/Salazar (CUSE), 8-6
2. Stanova/Gaudreault (MD) def Newborn/Avgerinos (CUSE), 8-3
3. Hovsepyan/Gaistruk (MD) vs. Rodgers/Safdar (CUSE), 7-7
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3Singles Results:
1. Stanova (MD) def. Kobelt (CUSE), 6-3, 6-2
2. N. Bredikhina (MD) def. Rodgers (CUSE), 6-4, 6-7 (7-9), 6-1
3. Newborn (CUSE) def. Hovsepyan (MD), 6-3, 6-3
4. Salazar (CUSE) def. Luus (MD), 7-5, 7-5
5. O. Bredikhina (MD) vs. Avgerinos (CUSE), 6-7 (8-10), 6-3, 6-3
6. Safdar (CUSE) def. Gaistruk (MD), 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4, 5, 2, 5