- Maryland returns to action Wednesday as it hosts Syracuse for a pivotal midweek doubleheader beginning at 3:00 p.m. at the Maryland Softball Stadium. It is the first and final regular season series between the teams as ACC foes. For live updates, log on to https://twitter.com/#!/TerpsSoftball. Live stats are available here.
April 2 3:00 p.m. vs. Syracuse (Maryland Pride) April 2 5:00 p.m. vs. Syracuse (Maryland Pride)
Scouting The Terps
• Maryland is looking to build on a positive offensive weekend at North Carolina, where it scored 20 runs in three games (6.7 runs/g). It had previously averaged 2.7 runs/g in the first 22 games of the season.
2014 Maryland Terrapins: 2-24, 1-5 ACC Roster Schedule
• The Terrapins picked up their first conference victory of the season in dramatic fashion last weekend, when it completed an incredible comeback to defeat North Carolina, 12-11. Trailing by as many as four runs, Shannon Bustillos capped off the comeback with a go-ahead two-run homer in the top of the seventh to seal the victory.
• After struggling in non-conference play with a .200 batting average, senior Candice Beards has found her groove through six games of conference action. Beards is batting .524 in ACC play with 11 hits, four doubles, seven RBIs and three runs scored.
• Shannon Bustillos leads the Terps with a .328 batting average, while Lindsey Schmeiser has a team-high 16 RBIs.
• Head coach Laura Watten is just seven wins away from the 600-win plateau for her career.
Scouting Syracuse (12-15, 5-4 ACC)
• Syracuse has won five of its last six games since beginning the season with a 7-14 record, including a three-game sweep of Virginia two weekends ago. The Orange most recently took 2-of-3 games from Georgia Tech on March 22-23.
• The Orange rank second in the ACC (23rd nationally) in home runs per game (1.11), led by eight dingers from senior Jasmine Watson. In total, Syracuse has 30 home runs through 27 games, including six players with at least three home runs.
• Sydney O'Hara leads Syracuse in the circle, notching a 9-5 record with a 3.09 ERA in 70.1 innings pitched. O'Hara leads the conference in strikeouts per seven innings (9.0).
• Maryland and Syracuse have met just three times in history, with the Terps taking 2-of-3 games.The teams last met in 2010, when Maryland defeated Syracuse, 4-1, to advance in NCAA Regional play.
2014 Syracuse Orange (12-15, 5-4 ACC) Roster Schedule Statistics
2014 Terps When... Overall 2-24 ACC 1-5 Non-Conference 1-19 Home 0-3 Road 1-4 Neutral 1-17 vs. Right-handed Starter 2-22 vs. Left-handed Starter 0-2 1-Run games 1-5 2-Run games 0-1 5+ Run games 0-11 Day Games 2-20 Night Games 0-4 Extra Innings 0-0 Scoring 0-2 runs 0-14 Scoring 3-5 runs 0-8 Scoring 6-9 runs 1-2 Scoring 10+ runs 1-0 Opponent Scoring 0-2 runs 0-3 Opponent Scoring 3-5 runs 1-5 Opponent Scoring 6-9 runs 0-7 Opponent Scoring 10+ runs 1-9 Scored in first inning 1-3 Opponent scored in first inning 1-14 Scores first 1-3 Opponent scores first 1-21 Made 0 errors 0-7 Made 1 error 1-10 Made 2+ errors 1-7 Opponent made 0 errors 0-4 Opponent made 1 error 0-11 Opponent made 2+ errors 2-9 Out-hit opponent 1-4 Out-hit by opponent 0-18 Hits are tied 1-2
Support the Terps
• Follow Maryland softball on Twitter! Check out https://twitter.com/#!/TerpsSoftball!
• Email Straight To You: If you would like the latest Maryland softball news emailed directly to you as soon as it breaks, email softball contact Sean Ellenby with "Softball E-Mail" as the subject and you will receive every update.
• Terps on the Web: For up-to-date game stories, statistics, schedules and results, and other Maryland athletic department information, please log-on to www.umterps.com on the Internet.
• GameTracker: Follow Terps games live in 2014 on your computer with GameTracker. Links for all games that will be available can be found at www.umterps.com.
Terrapins Welcome Syracuse for Midweek Series