COLLEGE PARK, MD - The Maryland women’s tennis team dropped its contest with No. 1 Duke, 7-0, at the Tennis Center at College Park Friday afternoon.
Boasting three top-35 singles players, the Blue Devils overwhelmed the Terps from the start. Freshman Cassandre Thebault made her Terrapin debut in the contest.
The doubles session saw the team of Marianne Jodoin and Annie Mulholland give the Blue Devils the advantage with an 8-2 win over Thebault and Olivia Gaudreault. Beatrice Capra and Hanna Mar sealed the point, defeating Welma Luus and Nataliya Bredikhina, 8-2.
The Blue Devils dominated singles play, winning every match in straight sets. Luus gave a good account of herself against Mar in a 6-2, 6-4 loss. Sixth-ranked Capra clinched the matchup for Duke with a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Alexandra Stanova.
The Terps retake the court next Friday against Notre Dame. Action is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.
Duke 7, Maryland 0
Doubles Results:1. Capra/Mar (Duke) def. Luus/N. Bredikhina (MD), 8-2
2. Goldfeld/Smith (Duke) vs. Stanova/Hovsepyan (MD), 7-2 unfinished
3. Jodoin/Mulholland (Duke) vs. Gaudreault/Thebault (MD), 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
Singles Results:1. Capra (Duke) def. Stanova (MD), 6-0, 6-2
2. Goldfeld (Duke) vs. N. Bredikhina (MD), 6-3, 6-1
3. Scholl (Duke) def. Hovsepyan (MD), 6-2, 6-1
4. Mar (Duke) def. Luus (MD), 6-2, 6-4
5. Kahan (Duke) vs. O. Bredikhina (MD), 6-3, 6-3
6. Mulholland (Duke) def. Gaistruk (MD), 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 1, 4, 5, 3