In its second match of the weekend, the Maryland women’s tennis team fell to No. 30 Florida State, 7-0, Sunday afternoon.
The Terps (4-3, 0-2 ACC) improved on their performance against Miami, but ultimately were unable to nab a single match victory. Olga and Nataliya Bredikhina both put up solid showings in singles.
Kerrie Cartwright and Daneika Borthwick got the Seminoles off to a strong start in doubles, dispatching Kristina Hovsepyan and Welma Luus, 8-1. Mia Vreiens and Daniela Schippers clinched the point with a win over Alexandra Stanova and Olivia Gaudreault.
In singles, the Terps suffered quick losses in four of six matches. Both Bredikhina sisters stretched their contests into deciding tiebreaks. Nataliya fell 10-6 in her breaker, while Duda Santos outlasted Olga, 10-8, at the No. 6 position.
The Terps return to action on the road against Pittsburgh on Feb. 28 at 2 p.m.
No. 30 Florida State 7, Maryland 0
1. Kerrie Cartwright (FS) def. Kristina Hovsepyan (MD) 6-1, 6-0
2. Daneika Borthwick (FS) def. Alexandra Stanova (MD) 6-3, 6-2
3. Mia Vriens (FS) def. Welma Luus (MD) 6-3, 6-0
4. Daniela Schippers (FS) def. Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) 7-5, 2-6, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Kristina Schleich (FS) def. Olga Gaistruck (MD) 6-2, 6-1
6. Duda Santos (FS) def. Olga Bredikhina (MD) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
1. Kerrie Cartwright/Daneika Borthwick (FS) def. Kristina Hovsepyan/Welma Luus (MD) 8-1
2. Mia Vriens/Daniela Schippers (FS) def. Alexandra Stanova/Olivia Gaudreault (MD) 8-5
3. Majlena Pedersen/Duda Santos (FS) vs. Olga Bredikhina/Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2*); Singles (1,3,2*,5,6,4)