- The Terps' schedule for the FAU "Strikeout Cancer" Tournament this weekend is below. For live updates, log on to https://twitter.com/#!/TerpsSoftball. Gametracker is available by clicking the tournament page here.
February 14 3 p.m. vs. Mississippi State February 14 5:30 p.m. vs. South Carolina February 15 12:30 p.m. vs. South Carolina February 15 5:30 p.m. vs. Florida Atlantic February 16 1 p.m. vs. LIU
Scouting The Terps
• Maryland will head to the Florida Atlantic "Strikeout Cancer" Tournament this weekend in Boca Raton, Fla. They will take on Mississippi State, South Carolina, Florida Atlantic and LUI.
• The Terrapins are coming off a rough weekend at the Florida International Tournament, where they dropped the all five games. They fell in the final two games by just one run.
2014 Maryland Terrapins: 0-5, 0-0 ACC Roster Schedule Statistics
• Reigning ACC Freshman of the Year Lindsey Schmeiser picked up right where she left off after her spectacular freshman campaign, hitting .438 with four runs, three RBIs and a home run.
• Kyle Datil and Sarah Calta had strong freshman debuts for the Terrapins, collectively notching five runs and two RBIs. Datil is second on the team with a .429 batting average, while Calta stole three bases on the weekend.
Scouting Mississippi State
• Mississippi State began the season on a 5-0 tear, defeating its opponents by an average margin of eight runs.
• The Terrapins are 0-2 all-time against Mississippi State, including a 4-3 loss last season.
2013 Mississippi State Bulldogs (5-0, 0-0 SEC) Roster Schedule Statistics
Scouting South Carolina
• South Carolina jumped out to a 3-1 start, defeating Iowa, Presbyterian and UNC Greensboro. Its lone loss of the season came to Ohio.
• The Terrapins are 2-3 all-time vs. the Gamecocks. The Terps have won two straight games in the series, including the last meeting in 2001.
2013 South Carolina Gamecocks (3-1, 0-0 SEC) Roster Schedule Statistics
• Florida Atlantic is 3-2 on this season with wins against Louisville, Temple and Ohio State.
• The Terrapins are 4-6 all-time against the Owls, but have won two straight games in the series. Maryland was victorious, 4-1, in 2012.
2013 Florida Atlantic Owls (3-2, 0-0 Conference USA) Roster Schedule Statistics
• Valparaiso is 1-3 on the year, posting its lone win against Chattanooga last weekend.
• The Terrapins have had long success against LIU, defeating the Blackbirds in 11-of-13 all-time meetings dating back to 1996. The Terps defeated LIU 18-1 last season.
2013 LIU Blackbirds (1-3, 0-0 Northeast) Roster Schedule Statistics Roster Schedule Statistics
Play the Best
The Terrapins will play a strong schedule against a number of the nation's top teams.
• The Terps will play seven games against teams in the preseason RPI top-50, and three in the top-10 (Washington, Oregon, Florida).
Head Coach <!A HREF="/sports/w-soccer/mtt/pensky_brian00.html" > Laura Watten
Laura Watten returns for her ninth season at the helm of the Terrapin softball program. Her current career record is 568-388 (.594) and her record at Maryland is 246-181 (.576). Below is a breakdown of just a few of her career highlights:
- Collegiate Record (16 years): 591-405 (.593)
- Record at Maryland (8 years): 269-198 (.576)
- Led the Terrapins to three straight NCAA Regionals appearances for the first time in school history
- Earned first postseason appearance since 1999
- 14 NFCA All-Region honorees
- Coach of 2007 Easton and NFCA All-American
- 16 All-ACC selections, including eight first team
- Three All-ACC Tournament Team selections
- Coached 2011 ACC Pitcher of the Year Kerry Hickey and 2013 ACC Freshman of the Year Lindsey Schmeiser
- Three ESPN The Magazine/CoSIDA Academic All-District team members
- Four-time MEAC Coach of the Year (2001, 2002, 2003, 2005)
- 2005 NCAA South Regional Champion (led at-large team Bethune-Cookman to Super Regionals)
- 2005 Super Regional Appearance
- 2005 NFCA Southeast Region Coach of the Year
2014 Terps When... Overall 0-5 ACC 0-0 Non-Conference 0-5 Home 0-0 Road 0-0 Neutral 0-5 vs. Right-handed Starter 0-4 vs. Left-handed Starter 0-1 1-Run games 0-2 2-Run games 0-0 5+ Run games 0-1 Day Games 0-5 Night Games 0-0 Extra Innings 0-0 Scoring 0-2 runs 0-2 Scoring 3-5 runs 0-2 Scoring 6-9 runs 0-1 Scoring 10+ runs 0-0 Opponent Scoring 0-2 runs 0-1 Opponent Scoring 3-5 runs 0-0 Opponent Scoring 6-9 runs 0-3 Opponent Scoring 10+ runs 0-1 Scored in first inning 0-1 Opponent scored in first inning 0-3 Scores first 0-1 Opponent scores first 0-4 Made 0 errors 0-2 Made 1 error 0-3 Made 2+ errors 0-0 Opponent made 0 errors 0-2 Opponent made 1 error 0-1 Opponent made 2+ errors 0-2 Out-hit opponent 0-1 Out-hit by opponent 0-3 Hits are tied 0-1
Support the Terps
• Follow Maryland softball on Twitter! Check out https://twitter.com/#!/TerpsSoftball!
• Email Straight To You: If you would like the latest Maryland softball news emailed directly to you as soon as it breaks, email softball contact Sean Ellenby with "Softball E-Mail" as the subject and you will receive every update.
• Terps on the Web: For up-to-date game stories, statistics, schedules and results, and other Maryland athletic department information, please log-on to www.umterps.com on the Internet.
• GameTracker: Follow Terps games live in 2014 on your computer with GameTracker. Links for all games that will be available can be found at www.umterps.com.
Preview: Terps Travel to FAU Tournament