PHILADELPHIA, Pa - The Maryland women’s tennis team continued its strong start to the spring season with a 4-2 victory over Penn at the Levy Tennis Pavilion Saturday.
Two quick wins gave the Terps the doubles point before the bottom half of Maryland's singles lineup secured the dual victory.
“We competed great pretty much across the board,” head coach Daria Panova said. “Alex [Stanova] had the best energy and fought harder than I’ve ever seen. I’m very proud of them.”
The Terps started well in doubles. The No. 2 duo of Olivia Gaudreault and Stanova won its third straight match, while the Bredikhina sisters also came up big in a 6-2 win.
In singles, the Terps dropped two matches, but won three others to take the overall team decision. Both Bredikhina sisters won their singles contests. Olga defeated Alex Ion, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 5 while Nataliya took down Stephanie Do at No. 4, 6-2, 6-2.
Gaudreault also claimed another victory in singles, running past Brigitte Desnoes, 6-4, 6-0.
The victory was Panova’s second over Penn in as many years as Terrapin head coach.
The Terps return to action next weekend, traveling to take on Old Dominion on Feb 7. Maryland then returns home to face St John’s on Feb 9.
Maryland 4, Penn 2
1. Eskenazi (PENN) def. Hovsepyan (MD); 6-0, 6-3.
2. Daniel (PENN) def. Luus (MD); 6-1, 6-0.
3. Yapp-Shing (Penn) vs. Stanova (MD); 5-7, 3-4 DNF.
4. Bredikhina, N. (MD) def. Do (PENN); 6-2, 6-2.
5. Bredikhina, O. (MD) def. Ion (PENN); 6-2, 6-2.
6. Gaudreault (MD) def. Desnoes (PENN); 6-4, 6-0.
1. Eskenazi/Daniel (PENN) vs. Luus/Hovsepyan (MD), 5-5 DNF.
2. Stanova/Gaudreault (MD) def. Yapp-Shing/Latycheva (PENN), 6-4.
3. Bredikhina, N./Bredikhina, O. (MD) def. Do/Ion (PENN), 6-2.