Saturday, Sept. 14, 2013
#2 Maryland (4-0)
Game Time: 11:00 a.m.
Location: College Park, Md.
Stadium: Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex
Live Stats: UMTerps.com
WATCH ($): UMTerps.com
LISTEN (FREE): WMUCSports.wordpress.com
Live Updates: https://twitter.com/TerpFieldHockey
• Admission and parking for this weekend's games are both free.
|2013 Terrapin Invitational|
|11:00 a.m.||#2 Maryland vs. Columbia: Live Stats | WATCH ($) | Live Updates|
|1:00 p.m.||#20 American vs. Miami (Ohio): Live Stats|
|Noon||Columbia vs. #20 American: Live Stats|
|2:00 p.m.||#2 Maryland vs. Miami (Ohio): Live Stats | LISTEN (FREE) | Live Updates|
• Live stats will be available for all games at UMTerps.com.
• Watch the Maryland-Columbia game live online for free via TerpsTV Premium.
• Fans can listen to Maryland's games online through Maryland's student radio station at WMUCSports.wordpress.com.
• Live updates will also be available at http://twitter.com/#!/TerpFieldHockey.
Scouting The Terps
• Maryland is ranked No. 2 in the Penn Monto/NFHCA Division I National Coaches poll. The Terrapins are coming off of their 16th overall Final Four appearance and fifth straight.
|2013 Maryland Terrapins 4-0 (Penn Monto/NFHCA Division I National Coaches poll #2)|
|Roster||Schedule||Statistics||Digital Media Guide|
• The Terrapins rolled to an 8-3 win over No. 17 Drexel in their home opener Sunday. Sarah Sprink scored twice, while Maxine Fluharty, Jill Witmer, Mieke Hayn, Welma Luus, Katie Gerzabek and Shelby Sydnor each scored as well.
• Maryland leads the country in scoring average (6.00), goals scored per game (6.00), assists per game (4.25), points per game (16.25) and shots per game (27.75). In their first four games of the season, 11 different Terrapins have scored and eight have scored two goals or more. Senior Jill Witmer recently earned her way on to Maryland's career scoring list. She sits at No. 12 with 51 goals scored in her four years. Eight Terps have notched an assist. In all, Maryland has 19 assists on 24 goals scored so far this year.
Scouting The Lions
• Columbia is 2-0 on the year after beating Longwood, 5-0, last weekend and winning at James Madison, 2-1 on Sunday. The Lions went 9-7 last year.
|2013 Columbia Lions 2-0 (Penn Monto/NFHCA Division I National Coaches Poll NR)|
• Katie Ruesterholz is leading the Lions with six points off of three goals in their first two games.
• Columbia head coach Marybeth Freeman was an assistant then associate head coach under Missy Meharg for seven years (2003-09). Together, they won three NCAA titles, three ACC titles, and went to six Final Fours.
Scouting The Redhawks
• Miami (Ohio) is 2-3 on the season. Most recently, the Redhawks lost to No. 19 Boston University, 1-0, and at No. 12 Northwestern, 3-0, last weekend. Gabby Goldach leads the Redhawks with three goals.
|2013 Miami (Ohio) Redhawks 2-3 (Penn Monto/NFHCA Division I National Coaches poll NR)|
• Last year, the Redhawks went 12-10 overall. They won the MAC Tournament title and earned a berth to the NCAA Tournament play-in game. They fell to Stanford in the play-in match, 4-1.
• Miami (Ohio) head coach Inako Puzo is married to former Terrapin great, Keli Smith Puzo. Keli played at Maryland from 1997-2000. She was a three-time All-American and was a member of the 1999 national championship team, as well as a two-time Olympian.
Scouting The Eagles
• American is 3-1 on the year. Most recently, the Eagles beat James Madison, 2-0, and Longwood, 7-1, last weekend. They went 10-10 last year before falling in the Patriot League title game to Lafayette.
|2013 American Eagles 3-1 (Penn Monto/NFHCA Division I National Coaches poll #20)|
• Carly Atchison is leading the Eagles with six points off of two goals and two assists.
• American assistant Barb Weinberg was recently a volunteer assistant with the Terrapins (2010-12). She helped them win two NCAA titles and go to three Final Fours.
Play the Best
The Terrapins will play one of the strongest schedules in the country.
• The Terps will play nine games against eight of the other 15 teams in the 2012 NCAA Tournament. They are 1-0 vs. those teams.
• The Terrapins will face off against all three of the other 2012 Final Four teams in Princeton, North Carolina and Syracuse.
• Maryland will play 12 of the teams ranked in the Penn Monto/NFHCA Division I Preseason Poll in 13 regular season games. So far, Maryland is 3-0 vs. ranked teams.
Head Coach Missy Meharg
The 2010 and 2011 NFHCA National Coach of the Year, Missy Meharg returns for her 26th season at the helm of the successful Terrapin field hockey program. Her current career record is 454-112-9 (.797). Below is a breakdown of just a few of her highlights since she took the reins in 1988:
• Seven-time National Champions
• Nine ACC Titles
• Nine NFHCA Coach of the Year honors
• Six ACC Coach of the Year awards
• 15 NCAA Final Four Appearances
• Seven Honda Awards won by five players
• 88 All-ACC selections
• 14 ACC Players of the Year
• Seven ACC Rookies of the Year
• Five Olympians
The Terrapins welcome a newcomer and a returnee to the program in 2013. Joppe de Vries joins the staff as a new assistant coach/technical director. Maryland alum Steve Simpson returns as a volunteer assistant.
• De Vries comes to College Park after coaching and teaching at the University of Amsterdam. He has been in coaching circles in the Netherlands for over a decade and has coached prominent clubs, including the Rotterdam Hockey Club and former Terrapin Berber Rischen. He worked on the South African hockey staff training goalkeepers for the 2012 London Olympic Games.
• Simpson, a 1988 graduate of the University of Maryland, began working alongside the program as an undergraduate student. He was hired by Meharg in 1995 and was an assistant through 2003. Together, they won the 1999 national title. Since then, he coached at New Hampshire and UMass and most recently, at Syracuse.
Oh Captain, My Captain
• Cabrera, a redshirt junior, will help with off the field team chemistry and leadership.
• McEvoy, a senior who was recently named to the Preseason All-ACC Team, has started throughout her career for the Terrapins’ defense. She and Sprink will help lead the Terps on the field.
• Sprink will serve as the Terrapins’ liaison with officials as NCAA field hockey moves into using a referral system.
Three Named to All-ACC Preseason Team
• Three Terrapins were named to the 11-member Preseason All-ACC Team - Maxine Fluharty, Ali McEvoy and Jill Witmer.
• The Terrapins were picked to finish second in the ACC and received a first-place vote.
• The Terrapins have won nine overall ACC titles. Most recently, they won three straight from 2008, 2009 and 2010.
• Witmer was named to the All-ACC Team last year, while McEvoy made it in 2011. This is Fluharty's first honor from the conference.
Home Sweet Home
Since its opening in 2003, the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex has provided the Maryland hockey program a huge home field advantage.
• The Terps are 116-13 (.899) all-time at the Complex.
• Maryland won 38 straight games at the Complex from Oct.11, 2008 through Oct. 14, 2011. The streak ended with a 5-2 loss to then-No. 1 Old Dominion.
• The Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex has played home to 20 of Maryland's NCAA Tournament games, including two Final Fours (2007, 2010). The Terrapins are 19-1 in those games and won the 2010 national title on their home field.
Pack the House
The Maryland field hockey team has increasingly attracted more and more fans to the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex season after season.
• The Terrapins have led the nation in attendance for three straight years and the ACC for six years. In 2012, Maryland averaged 643 fans per game with 7,725 fans coming out to the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex.
• An NCAA record crowd of 2,381 came out to watch as Maryland beat North Carolina 3-2 in double overtime for the 2010 national championship at the Complex.
Terps in Openers
• Maryland is 36-3-2 in season openers and the Terps have won their last 18 straight.
• The Terrapins haven't opened the season at home in the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex since 2000. They've opened 26 of their 40 seasons on the road.
• The Terps are 10-1 in home openers at the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex and have outscored their opponents 46-11 in those 11 games.
Home Openers at the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex
9/13/03 - Maryland 6, Drexel 0
9/4/04 - Maryland 6, Old Dominion 0
9/2/05 - Maryland 4, Michigan 0
9/4/06 - Maryland 1, Old Dominion 0
9/2/07 - Maryland 3, Michigan 2 (2OT)
9/5/08 - Maryland 8, Old Dominion 1
9/6/09 - Maryland 4, Michigan 1
9/3/10 - Maryland 3, Old Dominion 1
9/4/11 - Maryland 2, Michigan 1
8/31/12 - Old Dominion 2, Maryland 1
9/3/13 - Maryland 8, Drexel 3
|2013 Terps When...|
|vs. Top 5 opponents|
|vs. Top 10 opponents||1-0|
|vs. Top 20 opponents||3-0|
|vs. unranked opponents||1-0|
|vs. 2012 NCAA Tournament teams||1-0|
|Leading at half||4-0|
|Trailing at half|
|Tied at half|
|Maryland has more shots||4-0|
|Opponent has more shots|
|Shots are tied|
|Maryland has more saves||1-0|
|Opponent has more saves||3-0|
|Saves are tied|
|Maryland has more corners||2-0|
|Opponent has more corners||2-0|
|Corners are tied|
|Maryland scores first||4-0|
|Opponent scores first|
|Games decided by one goal|
|Games decided by 2-4 goals||3-0|
|Games decided by more than 4 goals||1-0|
Meharg Named ESPNU/ESPN The Magazine Top 20 Recruiter
Terrapin head coach Missy Meharg was named one of college athletics' top 20 recruiters by ESPNU/ESPN The Magazine in January 2012.
"ESPNU AND THE MAGAZINE asked an all-star panel a seemingly simple question: Who are the top 20 recruiters in college sports? We spoke with three dozen experts, from Mag college football Insider Bruce Feldman to volleyball legend Karch Kiraly to women's World Cupper Cat Whitehill. Turns out, baseball coaches aren't the only ones pulling roster magic from a hat half-filled with scholarships."Coach SchoolSport
|ESPNU/ESPN The Magazine Top 20 Recruiters|
|1. Pat Henry||Texas A&M||Track/Cross Country|
|2. Anson Dorrance||North Carolina||Women's Soccer|
|3. Ed Orgeron||Southern California||Football (Asst.)|
|4. Chris Dailey||Connecticut||Women's Basketball (Asst).|
|5. Missy Meharg||MARYLAND||FIELD HOCKEY|
|6. Mike Krzyzewski||Duke||Men's Basketball|
|7. Russ Rose||Penn State||Women's Volleyball|
|8. Barton Burns||Alabama||Football (Asst.)|
|9. Jay Clark||Georgia||Women's Gymnastics|
|10. Chad Holbrook||South Carolina||Baseball (Asst.)|
|11. Dan Jordan||Alaska||Rifle|
|12. John Calipari||Kentucky||Men's Basketball|
|13. Mike McGraw||Oklahoma State||Men's Golf|
|14. Jovan Vavic||Southern California||M/W Water Polo|
|15. Thad Matta||Ohio State||Men's Basketball|
|16. Kelly Inouye-Perez||UCLA||Softball|
|17. Mike LoPresti||Fairleigh-Dickinson||Women's Bowling|
|18. Tosh Lupoi||California||Football (Asst.)|
|19. Kelly Amonte Hiller||Northwestern||Women's Lacrosse|
|20. J Robinson||Minnesota||Wrestling|
Support the Terps
• To support the Maryland Field Hockey program, join the Corner Club today! Log on to CornerClub.org for more information.
• Follow Maryland field hockey on Twitter for in-game updates during all games and the latest info! Check out http://twitter.com/#!/TerpFieldHockey!
Follow Maryland Athletics on Twitter
• Email Straight To You: If you would like the latest Maryland field hockey news emailed directly to you as soon as it breaks, email field hockey contact Rose DiPaula with "Field Hockey E-Mail" as the subject and you will receive every update.
• Terps on the Web: For up-to-date game stories, statistics, schedules and results, and other Maryland athletic department information, please log-on to www.umterps.com on the Internet.
• Live stats: Follow Terps games live in 2013 on your computer with Live Stats. Links for all games that will be available can be found at www.umterps.com.