No. 2 Terps Fall To No. 4 Virginia, 3-0

Oct. 11, 2006

Box Score

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The No. 2 men's soccer team lost its final ACC road match of the season, 3-0, to No. 4 Virginia on October 11 at Klockner Stadium. The Terps (10-2-1, 3-2-1 ACC) surrendered two first half goals a little over three minutes apart in the 29th and 32nd minutes. Sophomore Yannick Reyering assisted on the first goal and scored the second for the Cavaliers (12-2-0, 4-2-0 ACC) and junior Nico Colaluca had two assists.

"We are a young group," said head coach Sasho Cirovski. "We have come out of some jams before on the road. This one will hurt but it will translate into very valuable lessons. We still had some good moments. We had good chances we just couldn't get shots on frame."

Most of the first half was filled with play in the midfield. The Cavaliers had a couple of dangerous corners that sophomore keeper Chris Seitz was able to snag in the air. The Terps also had a chance early in the half when senior A.J. Godbolt headed a ball to junior Stephen King in the box. King and UVA keeper Ryan Burke converged on the ball at the same time, but Maryland was unable to get a shot off.

Things started to turn towards the Wahoos way with under 18 minutes to go when a pass was sent into the box and another UVA player headed a ball deeper into the attack. The pass barely slipped by the foot of an attacker who tried flicking a shot into the goal.

In the 29th minute, Colaluca sent an in-swinger on a corner to Reyering. Reyering and a Terp defender both went after the ball in the air and the ball deflected to Jonathon Villanueva who slipped a shot into the left side of the net for UVA's first goal of the half.

A little over two minutes later, Maryland tried to put the equalizer on the board when a King cross was headed out by the Cavalier defense. The clear landed on sophomore Graham Zusi's foot and he took aim at the left side of the net, but his shot was handled by Burke.

Later in the 32nd minute, UVA was in their offensive third when a ball came loose in front of the box. Reyering and a Terp defender converged on the ball simultaneously at the 18, with Reyering powering through to win the ball. He then found himself with a clear lane to shoot and fired a shot to the left side that hit the back of the net.

The Terps' final chance of the half came off of a Zusi corner. His ball found its target in freshman Omar Gonzalez on the far post, but Burke was in position and made the easy stop.

The Wahoos nearly collected its third goal of the half as itme expired. UVA earned a late corner and rushed to get it off. The delivery fell well short and the Terps tried to clear, but the ball fell into the possession of the Cavaliers. With the clock hitting zero, a shot barely missed wide right past a diving Seitz.

In the second half, the Terps came out and had the first chance when junior Maurice Edu tried to connect on a diving header in the box. His attempt went wide to the left.

At the 23:00 mark of the half, Reyering received a cross in front of the goal on a counter attack. His shot attempt went to the left side, but Seitz reached back and pulled a goal away to force a corner and an end to the Wahoo attack.

UVA kept the ball in their offensive half of the field, however, and was able to get another dangerous chance on Seitz. Ian Holder tried to fire a blast over the head of Seitz from about 25 yards out, but the sophomore keeper again foiled the attack.

The Cavaliers scored its final goal of the match when Colaluca sent a pass from right to left to a wide open Adam Cristman in front of the box. Cristman took the pass and nailed the twine on the left side.

The Terps finish out the regular season with a five-game homestand beginning on Saturday, October 14 when Maryland hosts Boston College in conference action. It is the first time the Eagles will ever visit College Park. Kickoff for the match is slated for 7:00 p.m. and will be televised by CN8.