No. 17 Terps Fall At Ohio State, 1-0

Aug. 26, 2012

Final Stats

COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 17 University of Maryland women's soccer team dropped a 1-0 decision at Ohio State Sunday evening at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.

"I'm pleased with our kids performance tonight," said Maryland head coach Jonathan Morgan. "We are continuing to grow as a team and our soccer is becoming significantly better.

"I'm disappointed in the result but we only have ourselves to blame. We fell asleep for a moment and allowed OSU to sneak in behind us for the goal. This game will punish you if you take a play off and that's what happened to us tonight."

The Terps started off the game pressuring the Buckeyes, but it was Ohio State that drew first blood when Tiffany Cameron finished a 1v1 opportunity from eight yards out into the lower right corner of the net in the 18th minute.

The Buckeyes nearly upped the lead to a pair of goals in the 24th minute, but Samantha Lewis' shot from the far right side of the field bent too bar and bounced off of the upper left 90.

Maryland had its best opportunity to tie the match before halftime when freshman Alexis Prior-Brown, who was making her Terrapin debut after missing the first two games due to injury, drew a foul, giving the Terps a free kick from 25 yards out. Senior Olivia Wagner took the free kick, but drilled it right into the wall.

The ricochet bounced to sophomore Shade Pratt, who took a touch toward the center of the field, but her shot was also blocked. The ball then found junior Hayley Brock near the right corner of the 18-yard box. Brock quickly shot toward what looked like an open goal with Buckeye keeper Rachel Middleman near the right post, but Brock's shot was turned away by an Ohio State defender to preserve the 1-0 lead going into halftime.

Maryland was the aggressor in the second half, but couldn't break through the Buckeye defense to get quality chances at the goal.

Ohio State had a counter-attack chance in the 77th minute of play with Cameron having another 1v1 chance on Maryland keeper Rachelle Beanlands, but Beanlands came off her line to disrupt the play. The ball bounced loose in front of the open net with a Buckeye in the vicinity, but senior Domenica Hodak made the team save to keep the deficit to just a goal.

With Ohio State pulling back into its own zone to defend the 1-0 lead, Maryland had one final chance in the 90th minute, but freshman Ashley Spivey's blast from distance sailed over the crossbar to drop the Terps to 1-1-1 on the season.

"Our attack was good tonight and we created a lot of opportunities," said Morgan of the Terps, who outshot the Buckeyes 19-10. "The final piece is still escaping us and we will get back to work this week and continue to work in front of the goal."

Maryland finishes up its four-game season opening road trip at George Mason on Friday night at 7 p.m. at George Mason Stadium.