Wake Forest Surges Past Maryland, 4-2

Oct. 2, 2004

Box Score

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Wake Forest got second half goals from Scott Sealy and Justin Moose to lead the Demon Deacons to a 4-2 win over Maryland Saturday night at Spry Stadium. The four Wake Forest goals were the most surrendered by Maryland since 2000 when the same Demon Deacon team defeated Maryland 4-3 in overtime.

The Terps (5-3-1, 0-2-1 ACC) are now winless in their last four games for the first time since 1993. The loss also snapped Maryland's 37-game winning streak when scoring at least two goals. With the victory, Wake snaps a three-game home losing streak and moves to 4-3-1 on the season and 1-1-0 in the ACC.

The Terps got a pair of first half scores from Domenic Mediate, but Wake Forest used an impressive second half performance to get past the Terps. The Deacons out-shot Maryland 12-2 and forced Terrapin goalie Noah Palmer to make four saves in the final 45 minutes of action.

"I thought we played very well in the first half," head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "The two goals we gave up on free kicks really hurt us a lot. [Wake Forest midfielder] Steven Curfmann serves a great ball.

"Wake is a good team. They were very hungry - as were we. It's just hard to recover from two free kicks and a penalty kick."

The Terps got on the board first after a well-timed ball was sent from midfielder A.J. Godbolt to a streaking Jason Garey in the middle of the field. Garey's shot was saved but the rebound went to Domenic Mediate who finished from six yards out.

The Deacons evened the score at 1-1 off a free kick. Steven Curfmann served the ball into the box after the re-start from 25 yards out. The ball curved toward the net where Julian Valentin was able to get his foot on the ball and re-direct it out of the air for the goal.

On a corner kick, a controversial foul was whistled on the Terps in the box as the kick sailed through the box. Scott Sealy converted the ensuing penalty kick to give Wake Forest the 2-1 lead with just under 20 minutes left to o in the first half.

The Terps got the goal back after Kenney Bertz sent a high ball from the back to Garey who was just outside the box. Garey chested the ball down and worked his way through three Demon Deacon defenders but had the ball knocked away. Mediate was trailing the play and got the loose ball and put the ball past Wake keeper Brian Edwards at 7:24. The teams would enter the half at 2-2.

Wake had a few good scoring chances to open the second half and finally capitalized in the 64th minute off another free kick from Curfmann. Taking the kick from a similar spot on the field as the first one, Curmann's kick found the head of Sealy who put the ball past Terrapin goalkeeper Noah Palmer.

The Demon Deacons stretched the lead to 4-2 when Sealy played a give-and-go with Justin Moose. Moose played ahead to Sealy on the right side of the field. Sealy quickly played the ball back to the middle of the field to Moose who had streaked past the Terp back line and finished for the score.

Maryland will look to snap its four-game winless streak at home on Wednesday, October 6, against Villanova.