April 17, 2008
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Maryland women's tennis team dropped their first round match-up against No. 5 seed North Carolina, 4-0, Thursday morning. The lost ended the Terrapins' (3-18) season.
The Tar Heels (17-7), who are ranked No. 13 nationally, won the first two doubles matches to claim the first point, then went on to win the first three singles matches to take down the Terps.
At the No. 1 singles slot, Maryland junior Michal Amir lost to North Carolina's Sanaz Marand, who is ranked No. 10 nationally, 6-3, 6-1. At the No. 2 singles position, Terps' freshman Karin Lundmark dropped her match to No. 29 Katrina Tsang, 6-1, 6-1.
North Carolina's Austin Smith, ranked No. 103 nationally, clinched the match for the Tar Heels with her win over Maggie MacKeever, 6-2, 6-3, at the No. 3 singles slot.
In doubles competition, Tsang and Smith teamed up to take down Amir and Maryland sophomore Lisa Miller, 8-1, at the No. 1 doubles slot to clinch the doubles point. Marand and Meg Fanjoy defeated the Terrapin duo of MacKeever and Lundmark, 8-3.
No. 5 North Carolina 4, No. 12 Maryland 0
ACC Tournament First Round
1. Tsang/Smith (UNC) def. Miller/Amir (MD), 8-1
2. Marand/Fanjoy (UNC) def. MacKeever/Lundmark (MD), 8-3
3. Jurewitz/Reichert (UNC) vs. Huschke/Krutiyenko (MD), DNF
Order of Finish: 2,1
1. #10 Marand (UNC) def. Amir (MD), 6-3, 6-1
2. #29 Tsang (UNC) def. Lundmark (MD), 6-1, 6-1
3. #103 Smith (UNC) def. MacKeever (MD), 6-2, 6-3
4. Reichert (UNC) vs. Miller (MD), DNF
5. Grabinski (UNC) vs. Krutiyenko (MD), DNF
6. Fanjoy (UNC) vs. Huschke (MD), DNF
Order of Finish: 2,1,3