No. 2 Maryland Field Hockey Falls to No. 1 Wake Forest in Penalty Strokes

Sept. 24, 2005

Box Score

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The game pitting the top two field hockey teams in the country lived up to all its billing as No. 1 Wake Forest defeated No. 2 Maryland, 3-2, in penalty strokes on Saturday afternoon at the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex in front of a record-crowd 1,243 fans.

The previous record of 1,013 was set on Sept. 23, 2003, when the then-No. 1 Demon Deacons visited College Park to face the then-No. 3 Terrapins.

It was only the seventh time in the program's history a game had been decided by penalty strokes. Ariel Meyers' penalty stroke goal, WFU's fifth attempt, was the deciding goal, as Wake Forest won the stroke-off, 3-2.

The Terps, who suffered their first loss of the season and fell to 10-1 and 1-1 in the ACC, immediately attacked off the starting whistle. Less than two minutes into the game, freshman Sarah Scholl (Center Valley, Pa.) sprinted towards the net and knocked in a pass from junior All-American Paula Infante (Santiago, Chile) to give Maryland the early lead.

Wake Forest, who improved to 7-0 and 2-0 in the conference, put Maryland on its heels, attacking the Terps' defense with seven shots in the half. WFU was awarded a penalty corner and sophomore Kathyrn Masson (Richmond, British Columbia) made the initial save on the shot, but could not get back for the rebound and Kristi Harshman knocked it in for the score.

With the teams tied at 1-1 in the second half, Maryland senior captain Emily Beach (Bethesda, Md.) converted on one of three penalty corners in the period, giving the Terps the lead again, 2-1, in 49th minute. However, a penalty stroke in the 65th minute evened things up again, 2-2, sending the game into overtime.

After a 2-2 stalemate despite two 15-minute overtime periods, the game was decided in penalty strokes and Meyers scored the clutch goal on WFU's final attempt to give the Deacons the win.

Masson, who saw 13 shots in regulation, had a career-high tying nine saves. The Terps outshot WFU, 15-13, including outshooting the Deacs, 9-0 in the extra periods, but could not convert. Maryland still leads the all-time series, 15-9, but has dropped the last seven-straight meetings.

The Terps remain at home to take on ACC-foe Virginia on Saturday, Oct. 1 at 1 p.m. Football parking will be in effect as the Terrapin football squad hosts the Cavaliers at 12 p.m.

No. 1 Wake Forest (7-0, 2-0)  1    1   0   0   1 - 3
No. 2 Maryland (10-1, 1-1)    1    1   0   0   0 - 2

STROKE-OFF RESULTS WF: 13/N 3/N 14/Y 9/Y 17/GWG MD: 12/N 7/N 6/Y 17/N 19/Y

GOALS: WF, Kristi Harshman, 20:27; Maeke Boreel, ps, 64:18. MD, Sarah Scholl (Paula Infante), 1:46; Emily Beach (Tiffany Marsh, Janneke van Leeuwen), pc, 48:09. SHOTS: WF 13, MD 15. PENALTY CORNERS: WF 9, MD 8. SAVES: WF, Kristina Gagliardi 5 (2 GA, 100:00); MD, Kathryn Masson 9 (1 GA, 100:00), Christina Restivo 0 (1 GA, 0:00). ATTENDANCE: 1243.