April 13, 2008
ATLANTA - Using a lineup featuring five nationally-ranked singles players, No. 2 Georgia Tech defeated the University of Maryland women's tennis team, 7-0, Sunday afternoon in the Atlantic Coast Conference regular-season finale for both teams.
The Yellow Jackets (18-4, 10-1) clinched the No. 1 seed in this week's ACC tournament with the victory.
Junior Michal Amir had the best showing in singles for the Terps (3-17, 0-11). Amir, ranked No. 121 nationally, led Kristi Miller, the sixth-ranked player in the country, 5-4 in the opening set of No. 1 singles before falling 7-5, 6-2.
At No. 2 singles, Maryland freshman Karin Lundmark also pushed Amanda McDowell, the fourth-ranked player in the nation, in the early going before losing 7-5, 6-1.
After Georgia Tech won the doubles point and captured the first two singles matches, Noelle Hickey, ranked No. 100 nationally, clinched the match for the Yellow Jackets at the No. 4 position with a 6-4, 6-0 win over sophomore Lisa Miller.
Maryland will play Thursday in the opening round of the ACC tournament, with pairings to be announced Monday. The tournament will be held at Sanlando Park in Altamonte Springs, Fla.
No. 2 Georgia Tech 7, Maryland 0
1. Kristi Miller/Sasha Krupina (GT) def. Michal Amir/Lisa Miller (MD), 8-1
2. Whitney McCray/Noelle Hickey (GT) def. Karin Lundmark/Maggie MacKeever (MD), 8-0
3. Christy Striplin/Kirsten Flower (GT) def. Julia Huschke/Oksana Krutiyenko (MD), 8-0
Order of Finish - 3, 2, 1
1. #6 Kristi Miller (GT) def. #121 Michal Amir (MD), 7-5, 6-2
2. #4 Amanda McDowell (GT) def. Karin Lundmark (MD), 7-5, 6-1
3. #36 Whitney McCray (GT) def. Maggie MacKeever (MD), 6-2, 6-2
4. *#100 Noelle Hickey (GT) def. Lisa Miller (MD), 6-4, 6-0
5. #76 Christy Striplin (GT) def. Oksana Krutiyenko (MD), 6-0, 6-0
6. #33 Maya Johansson (GT) def. Julia Huschke (MD), 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish - 5, 3, *4, 2, 1, 6
* - Clinched match