March 1, 2008
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The Maryland women's tennis team held on to beat Miami (OhIo) Saturday afternoon, 4-3, after jumping out to a quick lead. The Terrapins improved to 3-6 on the season, while the RedHawks fell to 6-3.
The Terps won the first two doubles matches to strike first. Junior captain Michal Amir and sophomore Lisa Miller at the No. 1 doubles slot were the first to win, with their defeat of Miami's Brintney Larson and Sydnee Bridger, 8-3. Sophomore Maggie MacKeever and freshman Julia Huschke secured the point for the Terps at the No. 2 doubles slot. The duo beat Megan Martzolf and Cara Wald, 8-6.
The Terrapins went on to claim the first two singles matches. Amir, at the No. 1 singles slot, won the first singles point by beating Larson, 6-3, 6-2. MacKeever won the second doubles point at the No. 3 position with her win over Pesatova, 6-2, 6-4. Miller clinched the win for the Terps with her shut-out victory over Bridger, 6-0, 6-0, at the No. 6 singles position.
Lundmark dropped her match at the No. 2 position to Martzolf, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, while sophomore Eleanor Peters fell to Douple, 3-6, 5-3, def., at the No. 5 singles spot. After losing the first set, 3-5, Huschke fought back to win the second, 6-2, over Wald at the No. 3 position. Huschke went on to lose the third set, 7-5.
The Terps will head south next weekend to resume ACC play at North Carolina. The match is scheduled for 11 a.m. Sunday.
Maryland 4, Miami (Ohio) 3
1. Amir/Miller (MD) def. Larson/Bridger (MOH), 8-3
2. MacKeever/Huschke (MD) def. Martzolf/Wald (MOH), 8-6
3. Pesatova/Douple (MOH) def. Lundmark/Matejkova (MD), 8-4
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. Amir (MD) def. Larson (MOH), 6-3, 6-2
2. Martzolf (MOH) def. Lundmark (MD), 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. MacKeever (MD) def. Pesatova (MOH), 6-2, 6-4
4. Wald (MOH) def. Huschke (MD), 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
5. Douple (MOH) def. Peters (MD), 3-6, 5-3, def.
6. Miller (MD) def. Bridger (MOH), 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 1,3,2,6,5,4