No. 3 Terps Advance To ACC Final With 10-7 Win Over No. 16 Duke

April 23, 2004

Box Score

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - No. 3 Maryland ripped off the final three goals of the game to end three years of ACC Tournament frustration beating No. 16 Duke, 10-7 in the conference semifinals on Friday night at Fetzer Field. Sophomore Joe Walters (Rochester, N.Y.) and freshman Mike Brown (West Hartford, Conn.) each tallied three goals in the victory.

The top-seeded Terps (9-2 overall) advanced to the ACC title game for the first time since 2001. Maryland is seeking its first conference tournament title since 1998. The Terps will play No. 14/No. 3 seed Virginia on Sunday at 3:30 p.m., in a game televised by Comcast SportsNet, FOX Sports South and Sunshine Network. The Terps beat Virginia, 11-2, in the regular-season game on April 3.

The win over Duke was especially sweet for the Terps as the Blue Devils had eliminated Maryland from each of the past three ACC Tournaments, the last two in the semifinal-round.

"We battled from beginning to end," said head coach Dave Cottle, who will coach in his first ACC title game on Sunday. "We played hard like we do every week and I thought our defense really stepped up in the second half limiting Duke to only nine shots, two in the fourth quarter."

Cottle cited senior defensive midfielder Paul Gillette (Millersville, Md.) as the Terps' top player, awarding him the game ball after the win, as he grabbed a career-high 10 groundballs in the win.

With the scored tied 7-7 with just over nine minutes left senior Justin Smith (University Park, Md.) broke the tie as he put home a loose ball right in front of Duke goalie Aaron Fenton.

All-ACC selection Walters made it 9-7 with his third goal of the game with 7:00 left in the game. The goal was the 30th of the year for the ACC's leading scorer and his eighth hat trick in 11 games.

Sophomore Brendan Healy (Great Falls, Va.) closed the scoring with a beautiful goal as he came on a wraparound with 2:29 left in the game for the 10-7 final.

The loss elimiates Duke from NCAA Tournament consideration as it is now 4-7 and can not finish with a .500 or higher record.

The game was relatively even throughout the first three quarters with neither team leading by more than two goals.

With game tied at 4-4, the teams traded goals with Brown netting three goals - all in the third quarter - for his first career hat trick.

His first in the senquence came off a fast break in transition off a pass from freshman Ryan Clarke (Long Beach, N.Y.), who earned his first collegiate point.

His last two goals came off passes from Xander Ritz (Wayne, Pa.) including the goal to make it 7-6 which he scored as time expired at the end of the quarter.

The Blue Devils tied the game at 4-4 as Matt Danowski blasted a shot over Tim McGinnis' right shoulder off a pass from Chris Haunss to deadlock the game four minutes into the second quarter.

Maryland jumped out to 3-1 lead just 5:11 into the game as Bill McGlone (Swarthmore, Pa.), Walters and J.R. Bordley (Vienna, Va.). The Terps' second midfield contributed to the second and third goals as Walters converted a pass from Dave Matz (Woodstock, Vt.) and Bordley rocketed home a pass from Andrew Schwartzman (Owings Mills, Md.).

After Duke's Danowski cut the lead to 3-2 on a man-up down goal midway through the quarter as the Blue Devils finished a fast break.

The Terps built the lead back to two as Walters netted his second of the game as he scored off an assist from Bordley to make it 4-2 with 2:34 left in the first quarter.

Duke scored the only goal of the second quarter as both team's goalies came up big. Lee Skandalaris scored off a pass from Danowski 2:38 into the quarter. Each goalie made three saves in the second period.

Maryland's Tim McGinnis (Ellicott City, Md.) made 10 saves in the win, Fenton had 11 for Duke.