#6/8 Terps Rally To Tie #14 Duke, 1-1

Sept. 26, 2010

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

COLLEGE PARK, MD. - The Maryland-Duke rivalry extends farther than the hardwood as the No. 6/8 Terrapin women's soccer team and the No. 14 Blue Devils proved Sunday afternoon, battling to a 1-1 tie in double-overtime at Ludwig Field.

Junior forward Ashley Grove scored her team-leading seventh goal of the season to extend Maryland's undefeated streak to nine games. The Terps are now 8-0-1 on the year, 0-0-1 in ACC play.

"This was a more physical game than I expected," said Maryland head coach Brian Pensky, "but we know that we have to be ready to compete and be physical in conference play. Every time Maryland and Duke play there is a ton on the line and today was no different. With 15 minutes to play, we found ourselves looking for a way to tie the game and salvage a point. And now after the game, we're disappointed that we didn't get the three points."

Maryland had some great chances in the first half, but could not get a goal on the board. Junior forward Jasmyne Spencer's shot in the 11th minute beat Blue Devil keeper Tara Campbell, but rebounded off of the right post. The ball came right back at Campbell, who nearly bobbled the ball into her own net.

The other quality opportunity for the Terps in the first half came in the 43rd minute. Sophomore Olivia Wagner sent a terrific corner kick toward the back post where senior Molly Dreska did a great job to get on the end of it, but her header skimmed over the crossbar by mere inches.

Duke (6-2-3, 0-1-1 ACC) finally broke the scoreless tie in the 62nd minute on Callie Simpkins' third goal of the season. A cross by Molly Lester was loose in the Maryland box and Simpkins did well to redirect it into the Terrapin goal.

The Blue Devils nearly had the insurance goal in the 76th minute, but sophomore wide back Megan Gibbons saved the day for the Terps. A Duke free kick was sent to the left side of the Terrapin goal and Maryland goalkeeper Yewande Balogun, who finished the game with a season-high five saves, was unable to get across the front of the goal, giving the Blue Devils a wide open net at which to shoot. But Gibbons was there to stop not one, but two Duke shots from finding the back of the net and keep it a one-goal game.

It was on the clearing following those saves by Gibbons that the Terps caught a break. The ball was sent into the Duke zone and Grove tried to get through the Blue Devil back line to get to the ball, but Campbell came off of her line for the clear. But the Terps quickly sent the ball back to the same area and Campbell tired to come out once again. This time she could not corral the loose ball. Grove stole it away from Campbell and another Blue Devil defender and finished the chance into the empty net from 20 yards out.

All of the momentum was with the Terps heading into overtime and it showed with Maryland out-shooting the Blue Devils 9-1 in the extra time.

Once again it was Spencer leading the charge, but again Campbell thwarted her. In the 95th minute Spencer ripped a low shot toward the lower right corner. Campbell made the initial save, but could not hold onto the ball, which took a forward-spinning bounce toward the right post. It looked like Spencer may have her second game-winning overtime goal in as many games for the Terps, but Campbell dove after the ball and grabbed it just before it crossed the goal line.

The Terps had one more opportunity as the first overtime period wound down. Spencer sent a long cross from the far right corner and junior Amy O'Sullivan worked to get on the end of it inside the Blue Devil six-yard box. But, O'Sullivan's one-timer was deflected by a Blue Devil defender and the ball sailed over the crossbar.

Maryland continued to pressure the Blue Devils in the second overtime. Spencer had another opportunity in the 102nd minute, but once again Campbell was there to make a diving stop to preserve the 1-1 tie.

Spencer continued to work and fearlessly charged after a long ball in the 103rd minute. She got to the ball at the same time as Campbell, who came way out of the Blue Devil box to try to cut off a potential breakaway. But Spencer's momentum carried her through Campbell and another Duke defender that arrived late to the play. Spencer was whistled for the foul, but Campbell was slow to get up after the collision.

That almost proved costly for the Blue Devils in the next minute when Maryland junior Lydia Hasting ripped a shot from 45 yards. Campbell came off of her line again and would not have recovered in time to make the save, but Hastings' shot hit the bottom of the crossbar, keeping the game tied at 1-1.

The Terps had one last chance to pull out the victory in the 109th minute. Senior Caitlin McDowell sent a corner kick toward the far post. Senior Colleen Deegan fought through traffic to get on the end of it, but her header went over the crossbar.

"We got some good looks and some good chances and I'm very proud of our kids to battle back, change the momentum and come back to tie the game," said Pensky. "But this one is over now and we have to refocus and get ready for a very good Virginia team on Thursday night."

Maryland will finish up its four-game home stand on Thursday, Sept. 30 against Virginia. The Terps and the Cavaliers at slated for a 7 p.m. start at Ludwig Field.

Game Notes:
• Maryland is now 11-13-5 all-time against Duke with three of the past five meetings ending in ties.
Ashley Grove's goal gives her 16 for her career, tying her for 13th on the all-time goals list with Stephanie Magro.
• Grove now has 42 points for her career, tying her for 12th on the all-time points list with Emily Janss.
Jasmyne Spencer took five shots vs. the Blue Devils, giving her 123 for her career, which is 13th on the all-time shots list.