Zusi's Golden Goal In 104th Minute Gives Terps The Win

Nov. 1, 2006

Final Stats

BOYDS, Md. - Sophomore Graham Zusi redirected a Maurice Edu cross with his thighs and it hit the back of the net in the 104th minute to give the fourth-seeded men's soccer team a 1-0 dramatic win against fifth-seeded Boston College in the quarterfinals of the 2006 ACC Men's Soccer Championship. The Terps advance to take on top-seeded Duke in the semifinals on Friday night at 8:00 p.m.

In the Terps offensive third of the pitch, freshman Omar Gonzalez sent a throw-in into the box from the left side. Boston College tried to clear the ball, but it landed on the foot of Edu. Edu fired a cross through the box and Zusi, who was open in the box, redirected the pass into the net for the win.

"You saw our youth a little bit tonight," head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "We ran into a very good BC team that is more than just Charlie Davies. I think they were very confident from coming here and beating us (earlier in the season) and you saw their confidence in this game. But, when you can win in this tournament when you're not at your best, that means that you have something special inside of you, and I think this team does. We have a lot of heart and we willed ourselves to win."

The match was played in front of 6,312 fans at the Maryland SoccerPlex. The Terps will now face Duke on November 3 at 8:00 p.m. Maryland beat the Blue Devils, 1-0, on September 29th at Ludwig Field on an Edu goal from a Zusi cross.

Boston College came out after the opening whistle and controlled much of the first half. The Eagles first opportunity came with just six minutes expired when Stephen Hepburn took aim at an open net in the box. Junior Spencer Allen stepped in and made the save to thwart the threat.

Most of the first half expired with the Eagles on the attack, but the Terrapins got their chance with 11 minutes left when freshman Jason Herrick found Zusi on a through ball on the right side. Zusi tried to hit the top right corner, but his shot just missed the mark.

BC got a few more quality chances, but the Terps were able to stop them and the two teams went into the half scoreless.

The momentum shifted in the second half as Maryland held possession for most of the half. The first chance went to BC, however, when Charlie Davies tried to connect on a cross while sliding, but his shot went straight into the air and was saved by keeper Chris Seitz.

With 29:40 left in the game, sophomore Rich Costanzo sent a ball from the back line to freshman Jeremy Hall on the attack. Keeper Chris Brown came out to meet Hall, who chipped a shot over Brown, but his attempt went wide.

Hall got a couple of more chances to strike later in the half. With 20 minutes left, Zusi sent a cross in the box from the right side. Hall was open on the far side of the box but his redirection just missed high and to the right. Three minutes later, Zusi delivered a corner kick into the box that found hall on the right side. Hall took the shot, but his header was saved by a diving Brown with his fingertips.

The Terps would keep possession for most of the remaining time, and the sides ended regulation without a score.

In the first overtime session, one opportunity presented itself and it was for Boston College. Davies found himself one-on-one with Seitz after a clearing attempt deflected off of a player. Seitz charged the attacking Davies, slid, and made the save on a low shot, forcing the second overtime.

Both teams earned a chance in the second session before Zusi struck the golden goal. Herrick tried his hand at the net with a shot that Brown saved, and then a minute later, Mor Avi Hanan had a chance but missed just right.

Seitz matched his career-high with eight saves, tying the mark he set against Virginia Tech in the Terps' last match on October 27. Brown was credited with three saves for the Eagles.