New Scorers Lead Men's Soccer Past Georgetown, 2-1

Oct. 23, 2007

Box Score

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Senior Aki Kadotani scored his first goal in over two years and freshman Sean Flatley scored his first collegiate goal as the Maryland men's soccer team defeated Georgetown, 2-1, on October 23 at Ludwig Field. Senior Stephen King set up both scores and tied his career high with the two assists.

It was the 27th time that the Terrapins and Hoyas had met on the pitch and it was the 27th time that that the result went to Maryland. The Terps now own a perfect 27-0-0 record all-time against their local foe. The win also improves Maryland's unbeaten streak to seven games as it is 4-0-3 in its current nine-game homestand.

"It was a good bounce back game," head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "We made it a little tough on ourselves in the last 20 minutes which seems to be an issue with this team. We feel like the game is in hand with a one or two goal lead and sometimes drop out. I think fatigue was certainly a factor both emotionally and physically. We scored a couple of goals, though, and got some nice contributions from a lot of players that have been waiting in the wings."

Both sides seemed to be a little slow following the opening whistle as scoring chances were few and far between. The Terps got a quality chance with 16:02 to go in the half as junior Graham Zusi started an attack by streaking down the middle of the field with possession. He was challenged and the ball was jarred loose in front of the box, but it deflected to King who launched a shot that barely missed to the left.

Four minutes later, Georgetown's Scott Larrabee set up for a free kick on the left side and passed it to the corner to Mostafa Ebrahimnejad. Ebrahimnejad served a low pass into the box but Georgetown could not get to it and the ball skipped harmlessly across the field.

In the 44th minute, the Terps earned one of their five first half corner kicks. King set up for the delivery at the right flag stick and sent the ball into the box. The pass found Flatley in front who got his head to it and lobbed a shot over the Hoyas' keeper to give Maryland the 1-0 lead into the halftime break.

Cirovski started Kadotani at forward in the second half and the move paid off in the 55th minute. King handled the ball on the left side of the box and worked the defender on him, eventually darting for the end line. Before the ball could cross over the line, King went down and sent a short cross from just outside the six yard box. The ball bounced around for a moment before Kadotani got his foot to it and pushed the Maryland lead to two goals.

Georgetown did not let down and kept the offensive pressure on the Terps, gaining a couple of chances before cutting the Maryland lead in half. With 26:35 to play in the game, the Hoyas earned a corner kick. Larrabee sent the ball into the box and the Terps couldn't clear. The ball landed on the foot of Alex Verdi who blasted a shot, but the ball did not reach the goal as it was blocked.

The Hoyas finally struck in the 66th minute as Sean Bellomy handled the ball in the box. Bellomy found an open Chandler Diggs to his right and dished off to him. Diggs then found Bellomy again who made a move towards goal, and Bellomy put the ball in the back of the net to make it 2-1. The Hoyas (5-10-0) were unable to strike again as Maryland came away with the win.

The Terps (7-4-4) return to action on Friday night when they host NC State at 8:00 p.m. at Ludwig Field.