March 24, 2008
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The Maryland women's tennis team lost their match against No. 45 North Carolina State, 6-1, Monday afternoon at the Tennis Center at College Park.
Freshman Karin Lundmark battled to win her singles match over the Wolfpack's Daria Petrovic at the No. 2 position. After losing the first set, 6-3, Lundmark rallied to win both the second and third sets at 7-5 to put the Terrapins (3-11, 0-5) on the board.
Sophomore Lisa Miller forced her No. 5 match into a tiebreaker, before falling to Catherine Grotz. She lost the first set, 7-5, then won the second, 7-5, then dropped the tiebreaked at 10-8.
Miller, along with junior captain Michal Amir, fought to win the No. 1 doubles match against Petrovic and Berkeley Brock, before falling 8-7.
The Terrapins will play host to No. 50 Virginia Friday afternoon at 3 p.m. and No. 47 Virginia Tech Sunday at 10 a.m. Both matches will take place at the Tennis Center at College Park.
North Carolina State 6, Maryland 1
1. Petrovic/Brock (NCSU) def. Amir/Miller (MD), 8-7
2. Roach/Hojckova (NCSU) def. Lundmark/Huschke (MD), 8-0
3. Grotz/Bleakley (NCSU) def. MacKeever/Krutiyenko (MD), 8-4
Order of Finish: 2,3,1
1. Brock (NCSU) def. Amir (MD), 6-3, 6-4
2. Lundmark (MD) def. Petrovic (NCSU), 3-6, 7-5, 7-5
3. Hojckova (NCSU) def. MacKeever (MD), 6-3, 6-3
4. Roach (NCSU) def. Huschke (MD), 6-4, 6-3
5. Grotz (NCSU) def. Miller (MD), 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (8)
6. Bleakley (NCSU) def. Krutiyenko (MD), 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3,6,1,5,4,2