March 30, 2008
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The Maryland women's tennis team fell to No. 50 Virginia Tech, 6-1, Sunday afternoon at the Tennis Center at College Park.
Junior captain Michal Amir, ranked No. 101 nationally, won her match over the Hokies' Inga Beermann, 6-2, 6-1, at the No. 1 singles slot to put the Terrapins (3-13, 0-7) on the board.
Sophomores Maggie MacKeever and Lisa Miller both won forced their matches into third sets. MacKeever lost to Jessica Long, 7-5, 6-7, 6-3, at the No. 3 singles slot. Miller fell to J.J. Larson, 6-3, 3-6, 6-2, at the No. 6 singles slot.
The Hokies (14-7, 2-5) claimed all three doubles matches, but two of the three went down to the wire. Amir and Miller dropped their No. 1 match to Jessica Brouwer and Larson, 8-6, to give the Hokies the doubles point. Freshmen Karin Lundmark and Julia Huschke fell to Long and Yasmin Hamza, 9-7, at the No. 2 singles slot.
The Terrapins will close their home schedule next weekend with matches against Florida State Friday at 3 p.m. and Miami Sunday at 10 a.m. Both will take place at the Tennis Center at College Park.
Virginia Tech 6, Maryland 1
1. Brouwer/Larson (VT) def. Amir/Miller (MD), 8-6
2. Hamza/Long (VT) def. Lundmark/Huschke (MD), 9-7
3. Beermann/Johnson (VT) def. MacKeever/Krutiyenko (MD), 8-1
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. Amir (MD) def. Beermann (VT), 6-2, 6-1
2. Hamza (VT) def. Lundmark (MD), 7-5, 6-4
3. Long (VT) def. MacKeever (MD), 7-5, 6-7, 6-3
4. Larson (VT) def. Miller (MD), 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
5. Brouwer (VT) def. Huschke (MD), 7-6, 6-1
6. Johnson (VT) def. Krutiyenko (MD), 7-6, 6-0
Order of Finish: 1,2,4,6,3,5