Feb. 23, 2008
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The Maryland women's team dropped a close match to No. 56 Pennsylvania, 4-3, Saturday afternoon at the Tennis Center at College Park. The Terps fell to 1-5 on the season, while the Quakers improved to 3-1 on the year.
The Terrapins won just one of the three doubles matches to start off the match. At the No. 2 doubles spot, sophomore Maggie MacKeever and freshman Julia Huschke defeated Penn's Yulia Rivelis and Amanda Avedissian, 9-7.
Junior captain Michal Amir and sophomore Lisa Miller fell to Ekaterina Kosminskaya and Julia Koublitskaya, 8-4, at the No. 1 doubles slot and freshmen Adela Matejkova and Karin Lundmark fell to Michelle Mitchell and Charlotte Tansill, 8-4, at the No. 3 doubles slot.
The Terps went on to split the singles matches with the Quakers. Amir defeated Kosminskaya at the No. 1 spot, 6-4, 6-4, while Lundmark beat Rivelis, 7-5, 6-4, at the No. 2 position. MacKeever won her match over Tansill, 7-5, 4-6, 6-2, at the No. 4 spot.
Huschke dropped her match to Koulblitskaya, 7-5, 6-1, at the No. 3 position, and Miller fell to Mitchell, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 5 spot. Freshman Oksana Krutiyenko lost to Alexa Ely, 6-1, 6-7, 6-3, at the No. 6 position.
Maryland will play host to Old Dominion Sunday at 10 a.m., before opening conference play against Duke at 3:00 p.m. Wednesday. Both matches will take place at the Tennis Center at College Park.
Pennsylvania, 4, Maryland 3
1. Kosminskaya/Koulblitskaya (Penn) def. Amir/Miller (MD), 8-4
2. MacKeever/Huschke (MD) def. Rivelis/Avedissian (Penn), 9-7
3. Tansill/Mitchell (Penn) def. Matejkova/Lundmark (MD), 8-4
1. Amir (MD) def. Kosminskaya (Penn), 6-4, 6-4
2. Lundmark (MD) def. Rivelis (Penn), 7-5, 6-4
3. Koulblitskaya (Penn) def. Huschke (MD), 7-5, 6-1
4. MacKeever (MD) def. Tansill (Penn), 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
5. Mitchell (Penn) def. Miller (MD), 6-3, 6-2
6. Ely (Penn) def. Krutiyenko (MD), 6-1, 6-7, 6-3