Edu's Third Game-Winning Header Lifts Terps To Win

Oct. 19, 2006

Box Score

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - For the third time this season, junior Maurice Edu put a header into the back of the net in a 1-0 match and this time it beat Hartwick on October 19 at Ludwig Field. Sophomore Graham Zusi delivered the corner that led to the goal and he has assisted on all three of Edu's goals.

Edu and Zusi also connected in 1-0 wins against Loyola and Duke earlier in the season. It was the third goal of the season for Edu and the fifth assist for Zusi. Freshman keeper Josh Mikulewicz earned his first career victory in his first start while making three saves.

"It was important to get a win," head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "This was a difficult game. We had a couple of guys out with injuries. I think the team was a little bit edgy without Chris (Seitz) in goal because Hartwick is a team that is much better than its record. They are very good on set pieces so we were a little concerned about that. We didn't give them any, really, until the last 10 minutes of the game."

Maryland was the recipient of most of the scoring opportunities in the match and it began 10 minutes in when the Terps were on the attack deep in the box. A Hartwick defender tried to clear the ball away, but his kick nailed freshman Jeremy Hall. The ball deflected towards the net, but Hawks keeper Joe Gibson made a diving save to his right to keep the ball out of the net.

Four minutes later, Hall almost put the Terrapins on the board with an effort of his own. After junior Stephen King fed him, Hall juked a defender to the ground on the left side of the box. The move left Hall with a clear lane to shoot, but his blast went high and to the right.

Senior A.J. Godbolt used a great hustle play five minutes later to get the Terps another dangerous chance at goal. As a through ball was rolling towards the end line in the Maryland offensive third, Godbolt battled through a Hawk defender shielding him from the ball and sent a pass high into the box. The ball found King 10 yards away from goal, but his shot was foiled by Gibson.

Godbolt and Zusi both delivered blasts from over 20 yards out later in the half that barely missed their targets as the Terps failed to get on the board in the first half. Mikulewicz made his first career save when Ashton Henry tried a shot from 25 yards out that he saved with two and a half minutes to go.

Maryland finally converted on an opportunity in the 60th minute. Godbolt took a free kick a little over midfield on the right side after a Hartwick foul. His pass flew into the box, but Gibson punched the ball over the end line to give the Terps a corner kick. Zusi stepped to the ball and delivered the in-swinger that found Edu. Edu redirected the pass to the right side netting to give the Terps the 1-0 lead.

The Hawks had a couple of more good chances to equalize in the match, but failed to convert. With 22 minutes left on the clock, an attacker was taken down right outside of the box on the left side. Craig Potter was able to get a shot off the direct kick, but his attempt sailed wide.

With 3:27 left, Chris Greatwich found a crease on the left side of the box. Mikulewicz came out to try to stop the attack and Greatwick sent a shot to the right side. Mikulewicz dove to his left and made a sprawling save to keep the Maryland lead in tact.

Maryland improved to 11-3-1 on the season while the Hawks dropped to 7-8-2.

The Terps return to action on Sunday, October 22 when they host Albany at 2:00 p.m. at Ludwig Field. It is the first-ever matchup between the two sides.