Davies Leads BC To 3-1 Win Against No. 2 Terps

Oct. 14, 2006

Box Score

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Junior Charlie Davies scored Boston College's first two goals and assisted on the third as the Eagles defeated the No. 2 men's soccer team, 3-1, on October 14 at Ludwig Field. The second-largest crowd ever at Ludwig was on hand as 6,214 people came out. Sophomore Graham Zusi scored the lone goal for the Terps in the 38th minute.

It was the first time Maryland had lost at home in exactly two years. Its last setback came on October 14 of 2004 when Penn State won at Ludwig, 4-1. It was also the first-ever road win for BC in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

"At the beginning of the year, I said that this young team would go through some growing pains and you just don't know when," head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "Now, we're being challenged a little bit and we'll come through this with flying colors. Right now, we're a little banged up. We saw the effects of playing a hard game on Wednesday. I think we lacked the mental and physical energy to play our kind of game."

Boston College started the events in a quick way when they tallied the first goal in the third minute. Jamen Amato threw the ball into play, reaching the box from the left side. After Stephen Hepburn touched the ball, it bounced to Davies, who flicked a shot into the right side of the goal.

After the goal, the teams settled into plenty of midfield play before Maryland got its first quality chance of the evening. At the 22:19 mark, freshman Jason Herrick fed Zusi in front of the box from the right side and Zusi gave it back to him. Herrick fired a low shot to the left side from 20 yards out, but his attempt skipped just wide.

Zusi was again in on the action as he delivered a pass into the box from the left side with less than nine minutes left in the half. His ball found junior Stephen King a few yards away from the goal, but his shot was blocked. The official blew the play dead and called a handball on the Eagles, and the Terps were awarded a penalty kick. Zusi was selected to take the PK, and he executed with a goal to the left side, tying the game heading into the half.

The turning point of the match may have come 6:43 into the second half when Davies found himself on a breakaway with only sophomore keeper Chris Seitz in front of him to stop the attack. Seitz came charging at Davies and dove, deflecting the ball away and tripping up Davies in the process. The referee handed Seitz a red card for the effort and the Eagles were given a penalty kick opportunity.

Freshman keeper Josh Mikulewicz came in goal for the Terps, but Davies delivered the free shot to the lower right corner for the goal.

The Terps had their chance to equalize again when they were awarded a second penalty kick with 27:54 left on the clock. Herrick was making a run on the left side of the box and BC keeper Chris Brown came out to try and stop the attack. Herrick and Brown both slid for the ball, a foul was called, and Maryland got its chance.

This time, King was selected to take the penalty kick and went lower left. His attempt was saved by Brown to protect the lead.

Just over two minutes later, Davies started a counterattack from the Terps' offensive half of the field. He delivered a pass to Ryan Sherman on the right side and he had Mor Avi Hanan with him on the left with only one defender between them. Sherman dished to Hanan, who went one-on-one with Mikulewicz, and sent a shot to the left side that reached the back of the net.

Brown made three saves in the win for the Eagles (7-5-1, 3-2-1 ACC) while the Terps were not credited with a save.

Maryland (10-3-1, 3-3-1 ACC) is back in action on Thursday, October 19 when it hosts Hartwick at 7:30 p.m. at Ludwig Field.