#3 Terps Draw With UMBC

Maryland Athletics
Print RSS


BALTIMORE, Md. – Sophomore Donovan Pines scored the first goal of his career in the 55th minute, but the No. 3 Maryland men’s soccer team drew UMBC 1-1 in front of a record crowd of 3,766 at Retriever Soccer Park Tuesday night.

The Terrapins (6-0-3, 2-0-2 Big Ten) outshot the home team 24-12 and had chances to put the match away, but were unable to find a second goal. Maryland’s center back pairing of Pines and Miles Stray, along with holding midfielder Andrew Samuels shutdown UMBC for much of the night.

“We have to get through this middle of the season, get some results and survive it,” head coach Sasho Cirovski said. “We’ll get there. I love these guys. They don’t’ feel great about the overall effort tonight, but we still had quite a few chances. We have to credit UMBC with making it difficult for us.”

Maryland had opportunities to jump on the Retrievers early in the match. In the 11th minute, senior George Campbell send in a cross that found the head of junior Gordon Wild. The Germany native’s diving header banged off the crossbar before being swiped away by UMBC keeper Ciaran O’Loughlin.

Campbell’s service once again put Maryland in good position in the 23rd minute. Junior Sebastian Elney attempt to flicked Campbell’s cross to the back post with the inside of his right heel, but O’Loughlin gobbled up the shot. Pines had an attempt at a header off a corner in the 41st minute, but his effort went just over the crossbar.

The Terps jumped on the front foot in the opening minutes of the second half, with junior Eryk Williamson creating a couple of chances. Pines gave the Terps the breakthrough in the 55th minute, slotted home from eight yards with his right foot after a flick on header from Jake Rozhansky off a Gordon Wild cross from the right flank fell to him.

UMBC tied the match six minutes later through Gregg Hauck, ending Maryland’s 567 minute shutout streak.

In the 75th minute, Ben Di Rosa slalomed past a pair of UMBC defenders before rocketing a right-footed shot off the crossbar. Wild almost tallied from a 30-yard free kick in the 82nd minute before shooting just high in the 88th. The junior led Maryland with 10 shots.

Maryland’s best chance of the overtime periods came in the 93rd minute. Rozhansky found some space inside the box, but could not get the ball past O’Loughlin.

Maryland returns to action this Friday against Northwestern. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. from Ludwig Field and the match can be seen live on BTN Plus.