COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The No. 44 Maryland women’s tennis team fell to No. 8 Michigan on Saturday by a final score of 4-1.
The Terps opened the match with a strong start in doubles, clinching the point for the 15th time this season. Ekaterina Tour and Caroline Williams won in the second positon, and Arnelle Sullivan and Cassandre Thebault won at third singles.
Michigan then took control of the match when singles began, picking up wins at first, sixth, fourth and second singles to win the match.
"I'm proud of the way we fought today," head coach Daria Panova said. "We competed with a top 10 team and I think that shows how good we can be. Now we just need to take this and come back next week and continue to play well during our last couple of matches."
Tour and Williams’ win at second doubles improved their season record to 12-4, including an impressive 6-1 mark in conference play. Sullivan and Thebault are now 7-2 in doubles, with a 3-1 Big Ten record.
The Terps will be back in action on Saturday, April 15 against Rutgers.
1. Kate Fahey/Alex Najarian (Mich) def. Kristina Hovsepyan/Alexandra Stanova (UMD), 6-3
2. Ekaterina Tour/Caroline Williams (UMD) def. Mira Ruder-Hook/Brienne Minor (Mich), 5-2
3. Cassandre Thebault/Arnelle Sullivan (UMD) def. Annie Wierda/Chiara Lommer (Mich), 6-1
1. Kate Fahey (Mich) def. Alexandra Stanova (UMD), 6-3,
2. Brienne Minor (Mich) def. Ekaterina Tour (UMD), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. Arnelle Sullivan (UMD) vs. Alex Najarian (Mich), UF
4. Chiara Lommer (Mich) def. Katsiaryna Yemelyanenka (UMD), 6-1, 6-2
5. Kristina Hovsepyan (UMD) vs. Mira Ruder-Hook (Mich) UF
6. Valeria Patiuk (Mich) def. Caroline Williams (UMD), 6-3, 6-0
ORDER OF FINISH
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles, 1, 6, 4, 2*