COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The top-ranked Maryland field hockey team will host No. 2 North Carolina Friday at 4 p.m. in its home opener at the Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex.
• The match vs. the Tar Heels will be streamed live on the BTN2Go app, which is the official app of the Big Ten Network. The Maryland-North Carolina match will be a BTN Plus production and will require an additional subscription. Fans can access all Big Ten content on BTN Plus for $119.95 per year or a $14.95 monthly subscription. A Maryland School Pass for BTN Plus, which includes all Terrapin contests, home and away, on BTN Plus for $79.95 per year or for a $9.95 monthly subscription. Click here for more on the Terps' streamed or televised games.
• LiveStats will be available for the Terps-Tar Heels game and updates will also be posted to the Maryland Field Hockey Facebook page and Twitter feed, so "Like" and "Follow" to get updates sent straight to you.
Ticket and parking Information
• Admission to the Terps-Tar Heels game is free.
• Parking will be open in Lot 11, the lot directly next to the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex, at 2 p.m. Cars parked in the lot prior to 2 p.m. are subject to ticketing.
Scouting the TAR HEELS
• North Carolina is ranked No. 2 in the preseason coaches' poll. The Tar Heels beat No. 17 Michigan, 5-1, Saturday and No. 20 Iowa, 4-1, Sunday.
• The Tar Heels own the all-time series, 35-26, but Maryland won both of last year's matchups. The Terps won 2-1 in overtime in Chapel Hill, N.C. last October, then won 2-0 in the ACC title game in Newton, Mass. Nov. 10. Jill Witmer scored the Terps' first goal in the 40th minute, then Anna Dessoye added another score just under five minutes later. RECAP | STATS
• Since the 2009 season, the Terps and the Tar Heels have met in six championship games - three NCAA and three ACC. The Terps are 4-2 in those matchups, winning the 2010 and 2011 NCAA titles and the 2010 and 2013 ACC title. The Tar Heels won the 2009 NCAA title and the 2012 ACC title. They've met 11 times since 2009 and five of those matchups have gone to at least one overtime.
Maryland tabbed preseason no. 1
• Maryland was tabbed as the No. 1 team in the country in the Penn Monto/Division I Coaches Preseason poll released Aug. 26.
• The Terps have started off the year in the top spot in six of the last nine years and most recently, 2012.
• Dating back to Oct. 1, 2013, the Terrapins have been ranked No. 1 in eight straight polls.
Penn Monto/Division I Coaches Preseason Poll
2. North Carolina
8. Penn State*
9. Old Dominion
11. Wake Forest
13. Boston College
16. Michigan State*
Three Terps Selected To Big Ten Players To Watch List
• Junior Anna Dessoye and seniors Maxine Fluharty and Anna Dessoye were named to the Big Ten Players to Watch List before the season started. The full list is at http://www.bigten.org/sports/w-fieldh/spec-rel/082114aab.html.
• Dessoye is Maryland’s leading returning scorer, after she notched 13 goals and 16 assists in 2013. Fluharty added 12 goals and seven assists last year, while Gerzabek scored five goals and notched three assists in her 19 games played.
2014 Team Captains
Maryland In Openers
• Maryland is 37-3-2 in season openers and the Terps have won their last 18 straight.
• The Terrapins haven't opened the season at home in the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex since 2000. They've opened 27 of their 41 seasons on the road.
• The Terps are 10-1 in home openers at the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex and have outscored their opponents 46-11 in those 11 games.
Home Openers at the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex
9/13/03 - Maryland 6, Drexel 0
9/4/04 - Maryland 6, Old Dominion 0
9/2/05 - Maryland 4, Michigan 0
9/4/06 - Maryland 1, Old Dominion 0
9/2/07 - Maryland 3, Michigan 2 (2OT)
9/5/08 - Maryland 8, Old Dominion 1
9/6/09 - Maryland 4, Michigan 1
9/3/10 - Maryland 3, Old Dominion 1
9/4/11 - Maryland 2, Michigan 1
8/31/12 - Old Dominion 2, Maryland 1
9/8/13 - Maryland 8, Drexel 3
HOME SWEET HOME
Since its opening in 2003, the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex has provided the Maryland hockey program a huge home field advantage.
• The Terps are 127-14 (.901) all-time at the Complex.
• Maryland won 38 straight games at the Complex from Oct.11, 2008 through Oct. 14, 2011. The streak ended with a 5-2 loss to then-No. 1 Old Dominion.
• The Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex has played home to 20 of Maryland's NCAA Tournament games, including two Final Fours (2007, 2010). The Terrapins are 21-1 in those games and won the 2010 national title on their home field.
PACK THE HOUSE
• The Maryland field hockey team has increasingly attracted more and more fans to the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex season after season. The Terrapins have led the nation in attendance since 2010.
• In 2013, Maryland led the country in attendance with 8,176 fans coming out to see the Terrapins. On average, 629 fans came to each game, which was nearly 200 more than North Carolina's average of 438 which was second in the country.
• An NCAA-record crowd of 2,381 came out to watch as Maryland beat North Carolina 3-2 in double overtime for the 2010 national championship at the Complex.
overtime is terps time
During Missy Meharg's tenure, the Terrapins have become one of the nation's most dangerous teams in overtime.
• The Terps are 56-22 (.718) all-time in games that went to overtime or penalty strokes.
• In Meharg's tenure, the Terps are 46-18 (.719) in overtime or penalty strokes games.