COLLEGE PARK, Md. -
Towson (20-23) vs. Maryland (29-19)
Wed., May 7 (7 p.m.)
- Maryland and Towson meet for the inaugural Ripken Cup Wednesday night at Ripken Stadium. The scheduled two-game series was cut in half when the April 15 matchup was rained out.
- The Terps enter Wednesday's game against the Tigers riding a four-game winning streak following a 12-1 defeat of VCU Tuesday evening in Richmond and a three-game sweep of Notre Dame last weekend. It marked the Terps third conference series win of the season and second sweep of the year. Maryland swept NC State on March 21-23.
- With the three victories over the Fighting Irish, Maryland increased its conference win total to 12. It is the most conference victories by a Terrapin team since 1970, when the Terps won 15 en route to the program's second Atlantic Coast Conference title.
- The Terps' offensive attack has been spearheaded by second baseman Brandon Lowe. The Suffolk, Va., native was 5-for-8 (.625) in the series with three doubles, three runs scored and one RBI. Lowe finished with a 1.000 slugging percentage against the Irish and a .750 OBP. During the four-game winning streak, Lowe is 7-for-11 (.636) with three doubles, six RBI and four runs scored.
- Lowe currently ranks second in the ACC in hitting with a .357 average and leads the conference in OBP (.482). In the last 10 games, Lowe leads the team in hitting (.452), slugging (.613), OBP (.614), hits (14) and doubles (5).
- In the last 10 contests, the top third of the Terrapin batting order is a combined 32-for-101 (.317) with seven doubles and 15 RBI. Behind Lowe's .400 average, LaMonte Wade is hitting .314, while Charlie White is at .250.
- Shortstop Blake Schmit has been on a tear against non-conference pitching this season. The senior is hitting a team-best .366 with nine doubles and 14 RBI.
- The Terrapin pitching staff has totaled 406 strikeouts this season, tied for the third-highest total in the ACC, and is averaging 8.64 K/9, which ranks third in the conference. The unit is averaging 8.46 per game and is within striking distance of the single-season team record of 464.
- In 22 non-conference games, Maryland's pitching staff has a 2.86 ERA and is averaging 8.86 strikeouts-per-nine innings while holding opposing teams to a .196 average.
- Maryland concludes its ACC regular-season slate with a trip to Pittsburgh. The three-game series begins Friday at 6 p.m. Game two is Saturday at 3 p.m. with the series finale set for Sunday at 1 p.m.
- Maryland leads the all-time series with Towson, 42-30-2, in a series that dates back to 1971. Maryland has won four in a row in the series. Dating back to 2009 the Terps are 8-3 against the Tigers.
- Last season, the Terps won two offensive contests. In game one at Towson, Maryland edged the Tigers in a slugfest, 16-15. In game two in College Park, the Terps pulled away for an 11-3 victory.
MARYLAND VS. CANCER
- The Maryland baseball team has started its annual fundraiser to raise money for the Vs. Cancer Foundation. Maryland's goal is $20,000. To help the Terps reach their goal, visit maryland.vs.-cancer.org.