- Riding a two-game winning streak, the Maryland softball team is set to host Virginia Tech for a pivotal three game series this weekend at the Maryland Softball Stadium. For live updates, log on to https://twitter.com/#!/TerpsSoftball. Live stats are available by clicking here.
April 19 1:00 p.m. vs. Virginia Tech April 19 3:00 p.m. vs. Virginia Tech April 20 1:00 p.m. vs. Virginia Tech
Scouting The Terps
• The Terps will be celebrating the careers of four-year seniors Amanda McCann and Candice Beards this weekend. McCann's day will be celebrated Saturday, while Beards' is on Sunday.
2014 Maryland Terrapins: 5-30, 3-11 ACC Roster Schedule
• Maryland used the long ball to power past Delaware State Wednesday at the Mayland Softball Stadium, connecting on three home runs for a 10-2 victory in five innings.
• Lindsey Schmeiser hit her team-leading fourth home run of the season, while Kylie Datil and Erin Pronobis also hit a pair of round-trippers. Amanda McCann and Juli Strange combined for four hits and four runs in the effort.
• Junior Kaitlyn Schmeiser continued to pitch well for Maryland, delivering her second consecutive complete game against Delaware State. Over her last six outings (24.1 innings), Schmeiser has totaled 15 strikeouts and allowed just eight earned runs for a 2.30 ERA.
• Head coach Laura Watten is just four wins away from the 600-win plateau for her career.
Scouting Virginia Tech (28-16, 16-6 ACC)
• After beginning the season with a 5-6 mark in conference play, Virginia Tech has strung together 11 consecutive ACC wins dating back to March 23. The Hokies have swept Boston College, Georgia Tech, Pitt and Virginia during that span.
• A well-balanced team, the Hokies rank in the middle of the ACC in almost every statistical category. Kylie McGoldrick leads the team with a .352 average and 34 runs scored, while Katey Smith has a team-high 33 RBIs on 11 doubles.
• The Hokies feature a pair of strong starting options in Maggie Tyler and Kelly Heinz, who have combined for 26 complete games. Tyler has a 2.95 ERA with 126 strikeouts.
• Maryland is 19-17 all-time against Virginia Tech in a series that dates back to 1997, but has dropped six of the last eight games. The Hokies knocked the Terps out of the ACC Tournament in the first round last season.
2014 Virginia Tech Hokies (28-16, 16-6 ACC) Roster Schedule Statistics
2014 Terps When... Overall 5-30 ACC 3-11 Non-Conference 2-19 Home 2-4 Road 2-9 Neutral 1-17 vs. Right-handed Starter 5-28 vs. Left-handed Starter 0-2 1-Run games 2-5 2-Run games 1-3 5+ Run games 1-15 Day Games 3-26 Night Games 2-4 Extra Innings 0-0 Scoring 0-2 runs 0-17 Scoring 3-5 runs 1-10 Scoring 6-9 runs 2-3 Scoring 10+ runs 2-0 Opponent Scoring 0-2 runs 2-3 Opponent Scoring 3-5 runs 1-6 Opponent Scoring 6-9 runs 1-10 Opponent Scoring 10+ runs 1-11 Scored in first inning 3-5 Opponent scored in first inning 2-18 Scores first 3-5 Opponent scores first 2-25 Made 0 errors 1-9 Made 1 error 3-11 Made 2+ errors 1-10 Opponent made 0 errors 1-8 Opponent made 1 error 0-12 Opponent made 2+ errors 4-10 Out-hit opponent 3-4 Out-hit by opponent 1-24 Hits are tied 1-2
Support the Terps
• Follow Maryland softball on Twitter! Check out https://twitter.com/#!/TerpsSoftball!
• Email Straight To You: If you would like the latest Maryland softball news emailed directly to you as soon as it breaks, email softball contact Sean Ellenby with "Softball E-Mail" as the subject and you will receive every update.
• Terps on the Web: For up-to-date game stories, statistics, schedules and results, and other Maryland athletic department information, please log-on to www.umterps.com on the Internet.
• GameTracker: Follow Terps games live in 2014 on your computer with GameTracker. Links for all games that will be available can be found at www.umterps.com.
Terps Host Virginia Tech for Weekend Series