COLLEGE PARK, Md. -
Maryland (19-10) at George Mason (17-10)
Tues., April 8 (3 p.m.)
Probable Pitching Matchup
UMD - So. LHP Jake Drossner (3-0, 2.49 ERA) vs. GMU - Sr. RHP Michael Bowie (0-2, 8.59 ERA)
Maryland (19-10) vs. Mt. St. Mary's (8-11)
Wed., April 9 (6 p.m.)
Probable Pitching Matchup
UMD - Jr. RHP Bobby Ruse (4-0, 2.56 ERA) vs. MSM - Jr. RHP Scott Nickerson (0-2, 9.28 ERA)
- The Terps capped a 3-2 week with an 11-3 victory over Wake Forest Sunday. The Terps totaled 13 hits led by a four-hit performance from centerfielder Charlie White. The junior tied career highs in hits (4) and RBI (4) in the win over the Deacs.
- Last week, Maryland picked up two victories in mid-week action and now have won 13 straight non-conference games. The Terps handed VCU its fourth loss of the season in a 5-2 victory Tuesday before knocking off Liberty 8-3 on Wednesday.
- Third baseman Jose Cuas has been in strong form offensively in recent games for the Terps. In the last 10 contests, Cuas is batting .378 with a .568 slugging percentage, both of which lead the team. Cuas also has a team-high 11 RBI and four doubles, which is tied with LaMonte Wade for the most on the team during the 10-game stretch.
- Charlie White's performance in the series finale against Wake Forest capped a strong week for the Terps' leadoff hitter. In the five games, White hit .429 with a .538 OBP. He had one double, drove in four runs and stole six bases. White now has 15 stolen bases on the season, which tops the ACC.
- In 13 non-conference games this season, Blake Schmit leads the team in hitting (.370) and slugging (.565). The senior shortstop also has a team-high seven doubles and has driven in nine runs in those contests.
- Of first baseman LaMonte Wade's eight hits last week, half of them were doubles. Wade and Jose Cuas each totaled four doubles in five games. Wade finished the week with a .400 average and three RBI.
- The Terrapin pitching staff has been tough on non-conference teams this season. The staff is holding them to a .168 average and has posted a 2.30 ERA. In 133.0 innings against non-conference opponents, the Terps are averaging 9.1 strikeouts per game and surrendering only 5.3 hits.
- Sophomore Jake Drossner will be looking for his fourth win of the season when he toes the rubber on Tuesday. Last time out, Drossner struck out a career-high nine in a win over Liberty. Drossner held the Flames to three hits and one earned run over six innings. In his last three starts, Drossner has a 1.12 ERA with 19 strikeouts in 16.0 innings of work.
- Junior Bobby Ruse will be making his third career start Wednesday against Mt. St. Mary's. Ruse earned his second win as a starter against VCU Tuesday. After surrendering a run on two hits in the first inning, Ruse held the Rams to two hits over the next five innings. Ruse currently leads the Terps with a 2.56 ERA this season and has made 13 appearances for the team.
- Tuesday's matchup with the Patriots is the first of two meetings between the clubs this season. The Terps and Patriots meet again in College Park on Wednesday, April 23. It marks the seventh straight season Maryland and Mason have played with the Patriots holding a slight 25-23 advantage in the all-time series. Maryland and Mason met twice last season with each team picking up a win. The Terps dropped a 3-2 decision in College Park in the first meeting before defeating the Patriots 10-1 at Spuhler Field in game two. The squads have split the last six matchups in Fairfax.
- Maryland holds a 12-2 all-time lead against Mt. St. Mary's. But The Mount won last season in College Park, 2-1. It marked the first meeting between the clubs since 2005.
MARYLAND VS. CANCER
The Maryland baseball began its annual fundraiser to raise money for the Vs. Cancer Foundation. Maryland's goal is $20,000. To help the Terps reach their goal, visit maryland.vs.-cancer.org.