NOTRE DAME, Ind - The Maryland women’s tennis team fell to No. 20 Notre Dame, 7-0, at the Eck Tennis Pavilion Friday afternoon.
The Fighting Irish jumped all over the Terps from the start, taking the doubles point before ripping off three straight singles wins to secure the match.
In doubles, Mary Closs and Molly O’Koniewski were dominant at No. 3, defeating Olga Gaistruk and Olivia Gaudreault, 8-1. No. 8 Quinn Gleason and Britney Sanders put the point away on court one with an 8-4 win against Welma Luus and Nataliya Bredikhina.
The Terps couldn’t reverse the momentum in singles. Jennifer Kellner gave the home team a 2-0 advantage with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Kristina Hovsepyan. The Fighting Irish finished their work in the lower part of the lineup, winning matches at No. 4, No, 5 and No. 6 in quick succession.
The top two singles matches went to third set tiebreakers. Bredikhina took the first set off No. 41 Quinn Gleason, but couldn’t close the deal in the breaker. Stanova suffered the same fate against Sanders.
Syracause is next up for the Terps on Sunday at the Tennis Center at College Park. Action is scheduled to get underway at 11 a.m.
Notre Dame 7, Maryland 0
Doubles Results1. #8 Quinn Gleason/Britney Sanders (ND) def. Welma Luus/Nataliya Bredikhina (MD), 8-4
2. Jennifer Kellner/Julie Sabacinski (ND) vs. Alexandra Stanova/Kristina Hovsepyan (MD), 6-4 unfinished
3. Mary Closs/Molly O’Koniewkski (ND) def. Olga Gaistruk/Olivia Gaudreault (MD), 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
Singles Results1. Britney Sanders (ND) def. Alexandra Stanova (MD), 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4)
2. #41 Quinn Gleason (ND) def. Nataliya Bredikhina, 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6)
3. Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Kristina Hovsepyan (MD), 6-2, 6-0
4. Monica Robinson (ND) def. Welma Luus (MD), 6-2, 6-1
5. Mary Closs (ND) def. Olga Bredikhina (MD), 6-2, 6-2
6. Julie Vrabel (ND) def. Olga Gaistruk (MD), 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 5, 6, 2, 1