- Maryland travels to Tallahassee, Fla. for a three-game series with ACC power No. 8 Florida State this weekend. For live updates, log on to https://twitter.com/#!/TerpsSoftball. Live stats are available here.
April 5 10:00 a.m. vs. #8 Florida State April 5 12:00 a.m. vs. #8 Florida State April 6 11:00 a.m. vs. #8 Florida State
Scouting The Terps
• Maryland returns to action this weekend after splitting a doubleheader with Syracuse at the Maryland Softball Stadium on Wednesday.
2014 Maryland Terrapins: 3-25, 2-6 ACC Roster Schedule
• The Terrapins snagged the second game of a doubleheader against Syracuse Wednesday, scoring six runs in the second inning to pull away from the Orange. Four of the runs came on a wild play by Lindsey Schmeiser, who scored on a hit that never left the infield.
• Candice Beards led Maryland offensively against Syracuse, batting 3-for-5 (.600) with a pair of RBIs and a run scored. The senior is .538 through eight ACC games, including nine RBIs and four doubles. Corey Schwartz has reached base in six consecutive games, including a four-game hit streak.
• In just her second pitching appearance since March 2, sophomore Madison Martin issued a strong performance to lock down the second game victory for the Terps. Martin allowed just three hits and one earned run in 4.0 innings, and also scored the game-winning run.
• Head coach Laura Watten is just six wins away from the 600-win plateau for her career.
Scouting #8 Florida State (35-4, 12-2 ACC)
• Ranked eighth nationally and fourth in RPI, Florida State has won 14 consecutive games dating back to March 12. The Seminoles most recently defeated #6 Florida on Wednesday, 3-2, in eight innings.
• Florida State has dominated opponents with incredible pitching, led by 2013 All-American Lacey Waldrop. She currently leads the nation in wins (23), striking out 187 batters in 153.1 innings with a 0.59 ERA.
• The Seminoles also feature Maddie O'Brien, who is batting .440 with 60 RBIs and 14 home runs through 39 games. Tiffani Brown is extremely dangerous on the base paths, collecting 23 stolen bases on 25 attempts this season.
• Maryland is just 14-45 all-time against Florida State, despite winning three out of the last five meetings. The Terps were victorious in just one of three meetings last season in College Park, taking the first game, 5-4. Madison Martin pitched seven strong innings in the win.
2014 Florida State Seminoles (35-4, 12-2 ACC) Roster Schedule Statistics
2014 Terps When... Overall 3-25 ACC 2-6 Non-Conference 1-19 Home 1-4 Road 1-4 Neutral 1-17 vs. Right-handed Starter 3-23 vs. Left-handed Starter 0-2 1-Run games 2-5 2-Run games 0-1 5+ Run games 0-12 Day Games 2-21 Night Games 1-4 Extra Innings 0-0 Scoring 0-2 runs 0-14 Scoring 3-5 runs 0-9 Scoring 6-9 runs 2-2 Scoring 10+ runs 1-0 Opponent Scoring 0-2 runs 0-3 Opponent Scoring 3-5 runs 1-5 Opponent Scoring 6-9 runs 1-8 Opponent Scoring 10+ runs 1-9 Scored in first inning 1-3 Opponent scored in first inning 1-14 Scores first 1-3 Opponent scores first 2-22 Made 0 errors 0-7 Made 1 error 2-11 Made 2+ errors 1-7 Opponent made 0 errors 0-4 Opponent made 1 error 0-11 Opponent made 2+ errors 3-10 Out-hit opponent 1-4 Out-hit by opponent 1-19 Hits are tied 1-2
Support the Terps
• Follow Maryland softball on Twitter! Check out https://twitter.com/#!/TerpsSoftball!
• Email Straight To You: If you would like the latest Maryland softball news emailed directly to you as soon as it breaks, email softball contact Sean Ellenby with "Softball E-Mail" as the subject and you will receive every update.
• Terps on the Web: For up-to-date game stories, statistics, schedules and results, and other Maryland athletic department information, please log-on to www.umterps.com on the Internet.
• GameTracker: Follow Terps games live in 2014 on your computer with GameTracker. Links for all games that will be available can be found at www.umterps.com.
Maryland Set for Series at No. 8 Florida State