COLLEGE PARK, Md. -
Maryland (16-8) vs. VCU (20-4)
Tues., April 1 (4 p.m.)
Probable Pitching Matchup
UMD - Jr. RHP Bobby Ruse (2-0, 3.22 ERA) vs. VCU - Jr. LHP JoJo Howie (2-0, 2.43 ERA)
Maryland (16-8) vs. Liberty (21-7)
Wed., April 2 (4 p.m.)
Probable Pitching Matchup
MD - So. LHP Jake Drossner (2-0, 2.87 ERA) vs. LU - Jr. LHP Jared Lyons (2-0, 0.51 ERA)
- The Terps are looking to get back on track after losing both games of a doubleheader against No. 15 Clemson on Friday. Game three of the series was rained out.
- Maryland has won 10 straight non-conference games entering Tuesday's tilt with VCU and has not allowed more than two runs in the last six. Offensively, the Terps are averaging six runs per contest having scored double digits in three of the last seven non-conference affairs.
- Shortstop Blake Schmit has led the Maryland attack in non-conference play. Schmit leads the team in average (.370), slugging (.565) and doubles (7), and is ranked or tied for second in OBP (.434), RBI (9), runs (10) and stolen bases (8).
- Over the last 10 contests, Anthony Papio is leading the team in hitting (.333). The sophomore outfielder has two doubles and four RBI during the stretch to go along with three stolen bases.
- Centerfielder Charlie White has 11 hits in the last 10 games, tied with Papio for the most on the club, and a team-high five stolen bases. White also has driven in six with a double and one home run.
- Junior Bobby Ruse will be making his second career start Tuesday. In his first career start, Ruse held Delaware (3/18) to four hits and one run over six innings with three strikeouts to earn the victory. In his last five appearances, Ruse has surrendered three earned runs in 15-2/3 innings and struck out 12.
- Sophomore Jake Drossner will be looking for his third win of the season when he toes the rubber on Wednesday. Last time out, Drossner pitched six scoreless innings with five strikeouts against UMBC (3/19). In his last two starts, Drossner has surrendered only one earned run in 10 innings of work and averaged a strikeout per inning.
- VCU holds a 25-16 all-time advantage over the Terps. But Maryland has won four of the last five meetings between the clubs including two of three last season. The Terps split with the Rams at home in 2013 winning game one of the series, 6-5 in 10 innings, and dropping the third and final game, 9-7. In the only game played in Richmond last season, the Terps won 4-3. The three games against the Rams in 2013 were the first between the teams since 2010.
- Maryland leads the all-time series against Liberty, 6-5-1. The Terps took both meetings against the Flames last season. In game one in College Park, Maryland won 5-3. Game two in Lynchburg was taken by the Terps, 4-2. Prior to the 2013 season, Maryland and Liberty last played in 2011 with each team winning one game.
MARYLAND VS. CANCER
The Maryland baseball began its annual fundraiser to raise money for the Vs. Cancer Foundation. Maryland's goal is $20,000. To help the Terps reach their goal, visit maryland.vs.-cancer.org.