- Maryland travels to North Carolina for a three-game series this weekend as it embarks on its first ACC road trip of the season. For live updates, log on to https://twitter.com/#!/TerpsSoftball. Live video is available here and live stats are available here.
March 22 1:00 p.m. vs. North Carolina March 22 3:00 p.m. vs. North Carolina March 23 1:00 p.m. vs. North Carolina
Scouting The Terps
• Maryland is back in action this weekend after its midweek series against Virginia was cancelled due to inclement weather. The Terps are searching for their first conference victory of the season.
2014 Maryland Terrapins: 1-22, 0-3 ACC Roster Schedule
• The Terrapins fell to Georgia Tech in their ACC-opening series last weekend, dropping the final game by one run, 7-6.
• Senior Candice Beards and sophomore Lindsey Schmeiser led Maryland offensively against Georgia Tech, combining for 11 hits, four doubles and seven RBIs. Beards hit .545 at the plate, while Schmeiser went 5-for-10 with a grand slam. It was Schmeiser's third career grand slam and first of the season.
Scouting North Carolina
• After posting a 7-10 non-conference record to begin the season, North Carolina is off to a flying start in conference play with a 7-1 ACC record. The Heels have won six straight conference games, including two last weekend at Pittsburgh.
• The Tar Heels boast incredible power at the plate, ranking second in the nation with 1.48 home runs per game. Kristen Brown and Amber Parrish have each hit seven long balls, while Jenn Kelly has six to her name. Aquilla Mateen leads UNC with a .423 batting average, while Lori Spingola is 9-6 with a 2.69 ERA in the circle.
• Depsite trailing in the all-time series against UNC, 17-39, the Terrapins have fared well recently with wins in three of the last five meetings. Maryland took 2-of-3 in the series last season in College Park, including a 9-1 run-rule victory.
2014 North Carolina Tar Heels (14-11, 7-1 ACC) Roster Schedule Statistics
2014 Terps When... Overall 1-22 ACC 0-3 Non-Conference 1-19 Home 0-3 Road 0-2 Neutral 1-17 vs. Right-handed Starter 1-20 vs. Left-handed Starter 0-2 1-Run games 0-5 2-Run games 0-1 5+ Run games 0-9 Day Games 1-18 Night Games 0-4 Extra Innings 0-0 Scoring 0-2 runs 0-14 Scoring 3-5 runs 0-6 Scoring 6-9 runs 1-2 Scoring 10+ runs 0-0 Opponent Scoring 0-2 runs 0-3 Opponent Scoring 3-5 runs 1-5 Opponent Scoring 6-9 runs 0-7 Opponent Scoring 10+ runs 0-7 Scored in first inning 1-2 Opponent scored in first inning 0-12 Scores first 1-2 Opponent scores first 0-20 Made 0 errors 0-6 Made 1 error 1-10 Made 2+ errors 0-6 Opponent made 0 errors 0-3 Opponent made 1 error 0-11 Opponent made 2+ errors 1-8 Out-hit opponent 0-4 Out-hit by opponent 0-16 Hits are tied 1-2
Support the Terps
• Follow Maryland softball on Twitter! Check out https://twitter.com/#!/TerpsSoftball!
• Email Straight To You: If you would like the latest Maryland softball news emailed directly to you as soon as it breaks, email softball contact Sean Ellenby with "Softball E-Mail" as the subject and you will receive every update.
• Terps on the Web: For up-to-date game stories, statistics, schedules and results, and other Maryland athletic department information, please log-on to www.umterps.com on the Internet.
• GameTracker: Follow Terps games live in 2014 on your computer with GameTracker. Links for all games that will be available can be found at www.umterps.com.