CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va - The No. 61 Maryland women’s tennis team fell to No. 5 Virginia, 7-0, at the Sheridan Snyder Tennis Center on Sunday afternoon.
The Terps hung tough in a number of matches, but were unable to notch a single victory against the Cavaliers.
In doubles, Stephanie Nauta and Maci Epstien ran past Olivia Gaudreault and Alexandra Stanova, 8-3, before the seventh-ranked tandem of Julia Elbaba and Rachael Pierson defeated Kristina Hovsepyan and Welma Luus, 8-2.
With the doubles point in hand, the Cavaliers quickly secured the overall victory with two-set victories at the fourth, fifth and second spots. Nataliya Bredikhina and Olga Gaistruk were the most successful Terps in singles as both forced deciding 10-point tiebreaks.
At No. 3, Bredikhina was able to comeback after losing the first set, but ultimately dropped her match 6-2, 2-6, 10-3 to Nauta. Gaistruk took Caryssa Peretz the distance at No. 6, but fell, 4-6, 6-2, 12-10.
The Terrapins return to the court next weekend for two home contests. On Friday, the Terps welcome Clemson at 3 p.m., before hosting Georgia Tech on Sunday at noon. Both duals will be contests at the Tennis Center at College Park.
Virginia 7, Maryland 0
1. #7 Elbaba/Pierson (UVa) def. Hovsepyan/Luus (MD) 8-2
2. Epstein/Nauta (UVa) def. Gaudreault/Stanova (MD) 8-3
3. Collins/Xi (UVa) vs. N.Bredikhina/O. Bredikhina (MD) 7-2
Order of Finish: 2,1
1. #4 Julia Elbaba (UVa) def. Alexandra Stanova (MD) 6-2, 6-4
2. #58 Danielle Collins (UVa) def. Kristina Hovsepyan (MD) 6-3, 6-3
3. #42 Stephanie Nauta (UVa) def. Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) 6-2, 2-6, 10-3
4. #47 Rachel Pierson (UVa) def. Welma Luus (MD) 6-3, 6-4
5. Li Xi (UVa) def. Olga Bredikhina (MD) 6-1, 6-2
6. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) def. Olga Gaistruk (MD) 4-6, 6-2, 12-10
Order of Finish: 4,5,2,3,6,1