Maryland returns to action Sunday after a week of rest as it welcomes the Tulsa Golden Hurricane to Comcast Center for a 7:00 pm tip.
Watch: ESPNU - Mike Cristino (Play-by-Play), Cory Alexander (Analyst)
• The Terrapins and Golden Hurricane are meeting for just the second time in series history, last facing each other on Dec. 28, 1964 -- nearly 49 years ago to the date. The Terps defeated Tulsa in the opening round of the Hurricane Classic in Miami, Fla. with a 66-59 victory.
• Mark Turgeon and Tulsa head coach Danny Manning were teammates during their playing days at Kansas from 1984-1987. The pair went to the 1986 Final Four, before Kansas won the national title in 1988 when Manning was a senior and Turgeon was in his first season as an assistant coach.
• Freshman Roddy Peters was named ACC Rookie of the Week on Dec. 16 for his efforts against Boston College and Florida Atlantic. Peters totaled a career-high 14 points at Boston College, before posting five assists against FAU. Peters posted a career-high seven assists against Boston University.
• Head coach Mark Turgeon (299-192) needs just one win to collect his 300th career victory. Currently in the midst of his 16th season, Turgeon would become the eighth active ACC coach to reach the milestone.
• Dez Wells needs just four more points to reach the 1,000-point plateau for his career. The junior is averaging a career-best 15.5 points/g, including a career-high 33-point performance at Boston College. Wells transferred to Maryland from Xavier after his freshman season.
Last Time Out
Maryland faltered in its last outing on Dec. 21 at Comcast Center as it fell behind by 10 points at the halftime break and lost to Boston University, 83-77.
The Terps chipped away at the Terriers’ lead in the second half, and Dez Wells used a lay-up to tie the game, 51-51, with 12:25 to play. Wells then gave Maryland its first lead of the second half, 56-55, with a jumper at the 9:06 mark. Boston University answered every challenge, however, making timely shots to quell the Terps’ runs and hang on for the victory.
Wells led the Terps with 18 points, nine rebounds and a career-high five blocks in the effort, while Evan Smotrycz tallied his team-high third double-double with 15 points and 13 rebounds.
Terps Edge Florida Atlantic
Maryland returned to Comcast Center for the first time since Nov. 29 as it defeated Florida Atlantic, 66-62, on Dec. 14.
The Terps led by as many as 13 points in the first half, but Florida Atlantic battled back to make it a two-point game at the halftime break, 33-31.
Sophomore Jake Layman stepped up in the second half, knocking down all four shots (3 from 3-point range) in the frame. Layman finished with 22 points in the game, including a huge 3-pointer with 37 seconds remaining to put the Terps ahead by six points and seal the game.
While the Terps shot just 39.7 percent from the field, they manged 18 assists in the game -- the second-most this season (Morgan State - 26). Roddy Peters, Nick Faust and Evan Smotrycz combined for 14 assists in the game.
The Golden Hurricane enters Comcast Center as winners of three of its last five games, despite beginning the season with six losses in eight contests. Tulsa most recently lost to TCU on Dec. 21, 70-58.
Tulsa is led by James Woodard and Rashad Smith, who are averaging 13.8 and 12.4 points-per-game, respectively. Woodard is shooting 40% from beyond the arc, while Smith leads the team in blocks (10).
Coaching Milestone Looms
Head coach Mark Turgeon is on the verge of earning his 300th career victory Sunday, currently standing at a record of 299-192 (.609). Turgeon would become just the third head coach in Maryland history to have achieved at least 300 career wins (Gary Williams - 668, Lefty Driesell - 786).
Turgeon garnered 25 wins in his first two seasons of coaching at Jacksonville State, before totaling 128 wins in seven seasons at Wichita State. He then earned 97 wins at Texas A&M, prior to winning 49 so far at Maryland.
Closing in on 1,000 Points
Junior Dez Wells needs just four more points to reach 1,000 for his career, currently sitting at 996. Wells scored 312 points during his freshman season at Xavier, before totaling 498 last season. The Raleigh, N.C. native is averaging a career-best 15.5 points this season, including a career-high 33-point performance at Boston College. Wells is averaging 19.2 points over his last five games, scoring double-figures in eight straight contests.
Peters Emerging as Terps’ Point Guard
Freshman Roddy Peters has grown more comfortable with each game at the point guard position for the Terps, culminating with ACC Rookie of the Week honors on Dec. 16 in starts against Boston College and Florida Atlantic.
• Despite averaging just 20.7 minutes/g, Peters leads the Terrapins by a wide margin with 45 assists (3.8/g).
• Peters has posted at least three assists in seven consecutive games, including a career-high seven-assist performance against Boston University.
• He shined in his first career ACC game at Boston College, pouring in a career-high 14 points on 5-of-8 shooting.