April 25, 2013
CARY, N.C - The Maryland women's tennis team fell, 4-0, to No. 22 Georgia Tech in the opening round of the ACC Championships at Cary Tennis Park.
The Terrapins (6-16, 1-10 ACC) lost the doubles point to the Yellow Jackets (14-8, 7-4 ACC), before dropping three singles matches. It was the Terps' second loss to Georgia Tech this season.
In doubles, the Terrapins were competitive on all three courts early, but could not secure a victory against a tough Yellow Jacket squad. Senior and All-ACC performer Sarah Gealer lost to No. 56 Megan Kurey and Kendal Woodard, 8-4.
The singles session went eerily similar to the Terps first encounter with the Yellow Jackets. Gaistruk dropped her match at No. 4 to Megan Kurey by the exact same score as she did in her regular season contest with the Georgia Tech freshman. Gealer lost on court two and Olga Bredikhina fell court three, as the Yellow Jackets secured the victory.
It's the third straight year Georgia Tech has eliminated Maryland from the ACC Championships. The Terps have not advanced past the opening round since 2005.
#22 Georgia Tech 4, Maryland 0
1. #94 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) vs. #107 Vroni Van Berlo (MD) 6-3, 0-3, unfinished
2. #90 Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Sarah Gealer (MD) 6-1, 6-2
3. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Olga Bredikhina (MD) 6-2, 6-0
4. Megan Kurey (GT) def. Olga Gaistruk (MD) 6-1, 6-1
5. Muriel Wacker (GT) vs. Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) 6-1, 3-0, unfinished
6. Jasmine Minor (GT) vs. Gabriela Srodowski (MD) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
1. #56 Megan Kurey/Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Vroni Van Berlo/Sarah Gealer (MD) 8-4
2. Natasha Prokhnevska/Jasmine Minor (GT) vs. Olga Bredikhina/Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) 4-4, unfinished
3. Elizabeth Kilborn/Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Olga Gaistruk/Gabriela Srodowski (MD) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (3,2,4)