April 21, 2013
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The Maryland women's tennis team completed its regular season with a 7-0 loss to No. 1 North Carolina at the Tennis Center at College Park Sunday afternoon.
With lone senior Vroni Van Berlo celebrating senior day, the Terrapins (6-15, 1-10 ACC) were unable to win a match against the ACC leading Tar Heels (23-2, 9-1 ACC). The Terps dropped a competitive doubles session before the Tar Heels pulled away in singles.
"It felt like a team. A few weeks ago, we were not being a team," head coach Daria Panova said. "Today, everyone was playing for Vroni and they wanted to give their best. If we can carry that on next year and be about the team, I think it'll be a huge step for the program."
The Terps started off well in doubles, winning the first two games at No. 1 and No.2. From there, the Tar Heels took control, with Lauren McHale and Laura Slater defeating Van Berlo and freshman Sarah Gealer, 8-4. A late run from freshmen tandem Olga Gaistruk and Gabriela Srodowski was not enough as they dropped their match at No. 3 to Ashley Dai and Tessa Lyons.
In singles, the Tar Heels did not lose a set on their way to a shutout. Gealer played No. 40 Zoe De Bruycker tough, but ultimately lost, 6-4, 6-4.
Even with the defeat, the day was about Van Berlo. The consistent senior, who defeated three ranked singles players over the course of the season, was honored by her team between the doubles and singles play.
"She's a great tennis player," Panova said. "She stepped up. She really cared about the program and all the girls. She spends a lot of time figuring out how to make it better. She gives 100 percent every time. Losing her will be hard."
Maryland will enter the ACC tournament as the No. 12 seed. Play begins Thursday in Cary, N.C.
#1 North Carolina 7, Maryland 0
1. #9 Gina Suarez-Malaguti (UNC) def. Vroni Van Berlo (MD) 6-3, 6-0
2. #40 Zoe De Bruycker (UNC) def. Sarah Gealer (MD) 6-4, 6-4
3. Lauren McHale (UNC) def. Olga Bredikhina (MD) 6-1, 6-0
4. Ashley Dai (UNC) def. Olga Gaistruk (MD) 6-1, 6-1
5. Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) 6-3, 6-1
6. Kate Vialle (UNC) def. Gabriela Srodowski (MD) 6-0, 6-2
1. Lauren McHale/Laura Slater (UNC) def. Vroni Van Berlo/Sarah Gealer (MD) 8-4
2. Olga Bredikhina/Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) vs. #90 Gina Suarez-Malaguti/Zoe De Bruycker (UNC) 5-4, unfinished
3. Ashley Dai/Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Olga Gaistruk/Gabriela Srodowski (MD) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,6,5,3,4,2)