Welcome to the University of Maryland's Compliance website! In our commitment to fostering institutional control, this portion of our website was developed and is dedicated to assisting various constituencies with their understanding of Maryland, Atlantic Coast Conference and NCAA rules and regulations. The following pages of information are designed to assist fans, friends, alumni, boosters, former and current student-athletes, prospective student-athletes, coaches and staff members. There are many sources of information and links to various sites.
Principle of Institutional Control
It is the responsibility of each member institution to control its intercollegiate athletics program in compliance with the rules and regulations of the NCAA. The institution's chief executive officer is responsible for the administration of all aspects of the athletics program, including approval of the budget and audit of all expenditures.
Principle of Institutional Responsibility
The institution's responsibility for the conduct of its intercollegiate athletics program includes responsibility for the actions of its staff members and for the actions of any other individual or organization engaged in activities promoting the athletics interests of the institution.
Principle of Rules Compliance
Each institution shall comply with all applicable rules and regulations of the NCAA in the conduct of its intercollegiate athletics programs. It shall monitor its programs to assure compliance and to identify and report to the NCAA instances in which compliance has not been achieved. In any such instance, the institution shall cooperate fully with the NCAA and shall take appropriate corrective actions. Members of an institution's staff, student-athletes, and other individuals and groups representing the institution's athletics interests shall comply with the applicable NCAA rules, and the member institution shall be responsible for such compliance.
Office of Compliance Vision Statement
1. Conduct the athletics program with the utmost integrity to best ensure compliance with the letter and spirit of NCAA and ACC rules through a combination of education, sound policies and procedures, monitoring, and when necessary, proper investigative measures.
2. Educate our boosters, student athletes, coaches and staff through in-person educational presentations and wide distribution of NCAA rules to best ensure compliance and no major violations due to "lack of institutional control."
3. Self report any violations to the ACC office and/or NCAA, as appropriate, in a timely and responsible manner.
4. Utilize committee and subcommittee meetings of the campus-wide Committee of the Whole to oversee areas of responsibility to ensure NCAA compliance via use of appropriate processes and policies.
5. Review any alleged violations with the goal of securing accurate data and responding, if warranted, via communications to the NCAA staff regarding such reviews and possible findings. These reviews are done in coordination with the UMCP Legal Office and the Faculty Athletics Representative, along with the Director of Athletics and the Associate Director of Athletics for Compliance, utilizing a specific, approved University process.
- Utilize a variety of educational methods (newsletters, in person sessions, team & coach meetings, etc.)
- Provide key constituencies with updated information on new rules, current violations
- Maintain high level of access to compliance staff
- Continually evaluate quality and effectiveness of educational programming
Policies & Procedures
- Clearly outline and communicate roles and responsibilities to all constituencies
- Utilize technological advances to improve and streamline all forms and procedures
- Review and update all policies and procedures on an annual basis
- Review athletics program activities according to an annual audit plan
- Implement a standard and comprehensive system of audits and log requests for each sport
- Investigate in a thorough and timely manner all allegations regarding rules violations
- Apply consistent and appropriate penalties to any violations discovered
- Ensure all corrective actions are completed