No. 3 Terps Rally Past No. 13 Virginia Tech In Overtime, 2-1

Nov. 4, 2005

Box Score

BLACKSBURG, Va. - Senior Marc Burch scored the game-winner in the 104th minute of action as the third-ranked Maryland Terrapins rallied for a 2-1 deficit in front of a record crowd of 2,412 on Friday night. The Terps snapped Virginia Tech's 10-game unbeaten streak and extended their own unbeaten streak to 10 games.

It was the second straight season the Terps have needed overtime to knock off Virginia Tech.

Maryland finishes the regular season with a record of 14-3-1 and 7-1-0 in the ACC. Virginia Tech falls to 10-4-4 overall and 3-2-3 in the ACC.

"Virginia Tech is unquestionably a top 10 team," head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "They are well coached, disciplined and believe in their system. At times we weren't great, but we were at our best when we needed it most."

Maryland needed to rally for the first time in 10 games, and they responded with goals in the 83rd and 103rd minute of action. The game-winner came after Jason Garey worked into the right-corner of the box and sent a pass that was flicked into the air by A.J. Godbolt. Burch was making a run to the far post and headed the ball in for the score.

Senior Craig Salvati made five saves in the final game of the regular season picking up the win in goal for the Terps.

"They both came up huge," Cirovski said of the two seniors. "Marc had a great week of training and Craig was great tonight. This is a great reward for them."

The Hokies got on the board first in the 52nd minute on the strength of a Joshua Boateng score. The play was set up by Patrick Nyarko, who got the ball at midfield on the counter attack and worked his way down the right flank past the Maryland defense before sending a cross along the ground. The pass connected with Boateng who buried the shot from 16 yards.

The Terps looked to have gotten the equalizer in the 71st minute on a Virginia Tech own goal, but a Terrapin player was ruled offsides. Maryland finally tied the score after Jason Garey worked down the left flank before cutting back into the middle of the field where he found Stephen King. King took a few steps to his right before turning and taking the shot from 18 yards and scoring in the lower-left corner of the net.

Maryland's best chance in the overtime period came on a free kick just outside the box. Reminiscent of the Indiana game, the Hokies had a good chance at the end of the first overtime with a corner kick as time was expiring, but the Terps were able to clear the attempt to send the game to another overtime period.

Each team used the first 10 minutes to get into a rhythm. The Hokies did manage three corner kicks in the first nine minutes, but the first shot of the game came by Michael Dello-Russo from 22 yards out. Jason Garey had a solid scoring chance on a header in the 14th minute and Marc Burch had the best Terp opportunity late in the second half as his right-footed shot got past Chase Harrison who had come off his line but just rolled left of the net. The Hokies put two of their three shots on goal, but Craig Salvati stopped both shots.

The Terps will next compete at the ACC Tournament on Wednesday, Nov. 9, in Cary, N.C. Maryland will be the No. 1 seed and has advanced to the finals in each of the past three seasons. Complete bracket and times will be announced on Monday, Nov. 7.