Wallace Scores Game-Winning Goal for No. 8 Maryland Men's Soccer

Aug. 30, 2008

CARSON, Calif. - Sophomore Rodney Wallace scored in the 97th minute to lift the No. 8 Maryland men's soccer team over No. 14 UCLA, 2-1, on Friday night at The Home Depot Center.

The Terps (1-0-0) trailed nearly 65 minutes after UCLA (0-1-0) struck first in the 26th minute to gain the 1-0 lead.

Maryland senior Graham Zusi took a corner kick in the eighth minute which bounced around the Bruins box before it was eventually cleared. Two minutes later, a Jeremy Hall strike just missed forward Casey Townsend and was knocked out. Another Zusi corner followed and this time it found Wallace, who headed it just wide.

UCLA would not counter until the 16th minute when the Bruins first got a solid look at the goal. UCLA tested the Terrapin defense again in the 24th minute when A.J. Delagarza and Rodney Wallace battled to keep a ball in play along the backline to avoid a corner for the Bruins. UCLA ended up getting the corner, but Maryland forward Jason Herrick made a nice play to head the ball out the box.

UCLA then tallied its lone goal of the game after Maxwell Griffin scored on a close-range shot from inside the box to give the Bruins the lead. Eder Arreola and Jason Leopoldo assisted on the score.

Nakazawa took another shot at the Terp defense in the 43rd minute, but Maryland goalkeeper Will Swaim made a save to push the ball out of harm's way amidst a flurry of Bruin players in the box.

Maryland provided the first three shots registered in the second half, after a Hall header flew just wide in the 62nd minute and Townsend's first career shot on goal went just left of the post sixty seconds later. Drew Yates fired a long range shot just high of the crossbar in 67th minute.

The Terps stayed on the offensive the vast majority of the second half as a Yates free kick found Zusi open in the box, but Zusi's shot sailed high of the goal.

Maryland piled on the pressure during the final ten minutes of play. Omar Gonzalez headed a solid pass to Wallace in the 83rd minute as Wallace's shot went wide and a Zusi cross gave Hall an open shot at the net that went errant.

The Terps finally got past Perk in dramatic fashion with only 40 seconds remaining. Sophomore Sean Flatley took a Zusi corner from the left side to the back of the net to tie the score at 1-1. It is Flatley's second career goal.

The Bruins continued to stay on the defensive into the first overtime. Herrick struck first, firing a header wide of the post two minutes into the period.

But the Terps would capture the game when Wallace took a Yates assist right down the pipe on a breakaway goal in the 97th minute.

"I'm so proud of the effort tonight that I am almost speechless," head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "It was a championship total team effort.

"Our team showed that it has the pieces to have a very successful season."

Maryland outshot UCLA, 11-4, including eight shots in the second half.

The Terps stay on the West Coast for a matchup against California-Berkley on Sunday. Game time is slated for noon (ET) in Los Angeles.