April 19, 2007
CARY, N.C. - The Maryland women's tennis team ended its Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament appearance with a loss to the No. 6 seed, Wake Forest, 4-0 Thursday night. The Terrapins were the No. 11 seed.
Due to inclement weather, the match began around 6:30 p.m. and was played at the Sheffield Tennis Center on the Duke University campus.
The Demon Deacons won the first two doubles matches to earn one point. Maryland freshmen Lisa Miller and Elyse Steiner fell to Sierra Poske and Christine Simpson, 8-3 and senior Brooke Rogers and freshman Maggie MacKeever lost to Ana Jerman and Sasha Kulikova, 8-2. Senior Marianne Baker and sophomore Michal Amir did not finish their match against Alex Hirsch and Ashlee Davis.
In the singles portion of the match, Terp freshman Eleanor Peters lost her match to Davis, 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 2 singles position. At the No. 4 singles slot, Rogers dropped her match to Kulikova, 6-0, 6-1, and MacKeever fell to Simpson, 6-0, 6-1, at the No. 6 position. Baker, Amir and Steiner did not finish their matches at the 1, 3, and 5 singles positions.
In 2006, the Terrapins, the No. 8 seed, fell in the first round of the ACC Tournament to the No. 9 seed, N.C. State, 4-0. The Terps went on to earn a spot in the NCAA tournament, where they lost in the first round to South Florida, 4-0.
ACC Tournament First Round
# 6 Wake Forest 4, # 11 Maryland 0
1 Alex Hirsch/Ashlee Davis (WF) vs. Marianne Baker/Michal Amir (MD) DNF
2. Ana Jerman/Sasha Kulikova (WF) def. Brooke Rogers/Maggie MacKeever (MD) 8-2
3. Sierra Poske/Christine Simpson (WF) def. Elyse Steiner/Lisa Miller MD) 8-3
1. Alex Hirsch (WF) vs. Marianne Baker (MD) DNF
2. Ashlee Davis (WF) def. Eleanor Peters (MD) 6-2, 6-2
3. Ana Jerman (WF) vs. Michal Amir (MD) DNF
4. Sasha Kulikova (WF) def. Brooke Rogers (MD) 6-0, 6-1
5. Sierra Poske (WF) vs. Elyse Steiner (MD) DNF
6. Christine Simpson (WF) def. Maggie MacKeever (MD) 6-0, 6-1