Feb. 13, 2002
TERPS TRAVEL TO OLD DOMINION THURSDAY
* Winners of their last three, the Maryland wrestling team (9-3, 1-2 ACC) travels to Old Dominion Thursday for a 7 p.m. match with the Monarchs (1-8, 1-3 CAA) at ODU Field House. Following the Old Dominion match, the Terps will face Virginia in Charlottesville Feb. 20 before heading to the ACC Championships in Raleigh, N.C. March 9.
* Maryland's all-time winningest wrestler, Brandon York (Gaithersburg, Md.), captured his 135th career victory Saturday. He became Maryland's all-time wins leader earlier this season with 130 victories, breaking Steve Peperak's record of 129 wins from 1984-1987. Saturday's win gives him 33 for the season, a team-high. The three-time ACC champion has won his last eight matches after having his 13-match winning streak broken against Navy on Jan. 16th.
* York is the only regular starter with only one loss, sporting an 11-1 dual record entering Thursday's match with Old Dominion. His career dual record is now 36-6.
A LOOK AT OLD DOMINION
* Old Dominion enters their match with the Terps after picking up their first win of the season Saturday, earning a 28-11 victory over Campbell. They are led by 174-pounder Jeff Rusak who enters Thursday's match ranked fourth in the country with a perfect 24-0 overall record. Last season, Maryland defeated the Monarchs, 28-21, in College Park.
PINNING THE COMPETITION
* Junior Jake Stork (Mohrsville, Pa.) notched his team-high 15th fall of the season, a new career-high, last week, pinning Kyle Mason of American in 3:55. He now has 45 pins in his Terrapin career. An NCAA qualifier last season, Stork has recorded 12 or more pins in each of his three seasons and one redshirt year.
GUZZIO CLAIMS ACC WRESTLER OF THE WEEK HONORS
* Senior Joe Guzzio (Greensboro, N.C.) was honored Monday as the ACC Wrestler of the Week for his efforts this past week. He beat Duke's Stuart Holzer by a 2-1 decision Saturday, giving him three match wins for the week, including pins against American and Howard. Guzzio now owns a 21-10 overall record with nine pins, good for second on the team.
* Guzzio is the fourth Terrapin wrestler to claim ACC honors this season joining York, Stork and senior Josh Weidman (Hershey, Pa.)
* Guzzio's accolades also earned him Maryland Student-Athlete of the Week honors.
* The Terps are looking to go 9-1 in non-conference action this season. Maryland's two victories last Wednesday gave coach McHugh's squad eight for the year. Old Dominion is the final out-of-conference opponent remaining on the schedule this season. Their only out-of conference loss was to Navy on Jan. 16th. Last season, Maryland posted a 4-3 record against non-conference opponents.