April 15, 2007
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - The Maryland women's tennis team ended its regular season with a loss to No. 14 Florida State, 7-0, Sunday afternoon in an Atlantic Coast Conference match played at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center in Tallahassee.
The Terrapins dropped to 8-14 overall on the spring season and 1-10 in the ACC. The Seminoles improved to 14-6 on the year and 7-4 in the conference.
Maryland started off on the right foot as senior Marianne Baker and sophomore Michal Amir won the first doubles match of the day by defeating Florida State's Nicola Slater and Carolin Walter, 9-8. The Terps went on to lose the doubles portion of the match as Brooke Rogers and Maggie MacKeever lost to Lauren Macfarlane and Tapiwa Marobela, 8-2. The freshmen duo of Lisa Miller and Elyse Steiner fell to Miranda Foley and Jessica Wente, 8-3.
Baker, who is ranked No. 92 nationally, lost a close match to Slater, 7-6 (7-2), 4-6, 10-7, at the No. 1 singles slot, while Amir lost another close match to No. 99 Macfarlane, 6-1, 4-6, 10-6 at the No. 2 position. Rogers dropped her match to No. 102 Ania Rynarzewska, 6-1, 6-1, at the No. 3 slot.
Walter clinched the match for the Seminoles with her win over Steiner, 6-2, 6-1. Miller fell to Marobela, 6-0, 6-2, while MacKeever lost to Wente, 6-4, 6-2.
The Terrapins will head to Cary, N.C. later this week for the ACC Tournament. The first round begins on Thursday.
No. 14 Florida State 7, Maryland 0
1. Michal Amir/Marianne Baker (MD) def. No. 19 Nicola Slater/Carolin Walter (FSU) 9-8 (7-1)
2. Lauren Macfarlane/Tapiwa Marobela (FSU) def. Brooke Rogers/Maggie MacKeever (MD) 8-2
3. Miranda Foley/Jessica Wente (FSU) def. Lisa Miller/Elyse Steiner (MD) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Nicola Slater (FSU) def. No. 92 Marianne Baker (MD) 7-6 (7-2), 4-6, 10-7
2. No. 99 Lauren Macfarlane (FSU) def. Michal Amir (MD) 6-1, 4-6, 10-6
3. No. 102 Ania Rynarzewska (FSU) def. Brooke Rogers (MD) 6-1, 6-2
4. Carolin Walter (FSU) def. Elyse Steiner (MD) 6-2, 6-1
5. Tapiwa Marobela (FSU) def. Lisa Miller (MD) 6-0, 6-2
6. Jessica Wente (FSU) def. Maggie MacKeever (MD) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 3, 4, 1, 6, 2