No. 1 Maryland Downs St. John's, 3-1

Nov. 27, 2005

Box Score |  Quotes |  Notes |  Photo Gallery

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Stephen King scored two goals and Marc Burch added two assists as the Maryland Terrapins downed St. John's, 3-1, in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. Goalkeeper Chris Seitz matched his career high with six saves as the Terps advance to the NCAA Quarterfinals next week against Akron.

The Terps and Zips will kickoff on Saturday, Dec. 3, for a berth in the 2005 College Cup. Akron outlasted Big East champ UConn 4-3 in penalty kicks to advance to the quarterfinals.

"St. John's is a great team - I think they are one of the toughest outs in college soccer," head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "I thought in the second half we really took the game over. We came out with an aggressive mentality, our rotation in the midfield was much better and our execution going forward was a lot crisper."

King gave Maryland the 1-0 advantage after burying a 16-yard shot from the top of the box. On the play, Rogers dribbled the length of the field on the left flank before sending a cross into the box. With his back to the goal, Burch played a soft touch back to King who fired for the score at 11:50.

Rogers nearly made it 2-0 several minutes later after he settled the ball with his left foot to his right, but his shot curled just wide.

The Red Storm found the equalizer in the 20th minute after Tony Beltran sent a cross into the box. Matt Groenwald flicked the ball with a header to Sebastian Alvarado-Ralph who put a settling touch before finishing from 10 yards.

Seitz helped keep the game tied the rest of the way in the first half with two point-blank saves - one on a Alvarado-Ralph header and the other on a shot from Billy Hole.

The Terps started the second half with a flurry of activity in the 50th minute as a pair of Jason Garey shots were blocked inside the box. Just a minute later, Garey missed another opportunity to put the Terps up 2-1 as his shot got past a diving Jason Landers but just missed the net.

Maryland did finally capitalize in the 63rd minute with another Burch-King connection. Burch worked himself free on the left flank and slotted a ball inside the box where King was in position for the goal.

St. John's rallied, but was unable to get its second goal of the day. Seitz saved a 25-yard Groenwald shot and stopped Georgios Spanos heel-shot to preserve the lead. The Red Storm was unlucky in the 82nd minute when Andre Schmid hit the crossbar on a header and the ball was cleared out of the box by Michael Dello-Russo.

With time winding down in the game, Seitz' goal kick cleared midfield and went to Garey who pushed the ball ahead to Rogers. Rogers sprinted down the right side past his defender and then squeezed his shot over Landers with just eight seconds left for the 3-1 final.