COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- The Maryland baseball team closes the regular season at High Point for a three-game set with the Panthers.
LEADING IT OFF
• Maryland finishes its 2017 regular season wtih a three-game set at High Point. The two team battled in College Park last season, with High Point taking 2-of-3 games.
• Since moving down in the lineup to hit cleanup on April 11, Nick Dunn is batting .312 with six doubles, two home runs and 16 RBIs (20 gams).
• Freshman Tyler Blohm's eight wins leads the Big Ten and already ranks tied for third all-time in Maryland single season history.
• Prior to his rain-shortened start against Indiana, Brian Shaffer had recorded seven straight starts of 7+ innings with three or fewer runs allowed. He is tied for second all-time at Maryland in career wins (20). Shaffer was named to the USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award Midseason Watch List.
• Shaffer boasts the best ERA in the Big Ten (1.72). That mark is 13th in the country. He leads the conference in innings pitched (89), is second in the conference in strikeouts (91), and is third in the Big Ten in opponents' batting average (.208).His 0.93 WHIP leads the conference and is 23rd in the country.
• Marty Costes is eighth in the Big Ten in batting average (.343) and sixth in slugging percentage (.547). His 69 hits is second in the conference and he is batting .354 in conference play.
• Ryan Selmer made his 80th career appearance last Saturday against Illinois. He is now alone in third for most appearances in school history. Selmer is just nine appearances shy of tying the program record of 89, set by Charles Devereaux.
Weekend Pitching Match-Ups
|Friday||RHP-Brian Shaffer, Jr. (6-2, 1.78, 83K)||LHP-Cooper Wetherbee, Sr. (2-2, 2.91, 36 K)|
|Saturday||LHP-Tyler Blohm, Fr. (8-4, 3.17, 54 K)||RHP-Hank Christie, Fr. (1-4, 4.31, 42 K)|
|Sunday||RHP-Taylor Bloom, Jr. (5-2, 4.26, 43 K)||RHP-Josh Davis, Sr. (3-2, 3.76, 29 K)|